Friday, February 12, 2016

The gift of a day - finally at home(?!?)

I unexpectedly have my very first day in a month at my current home.  Thanks to a period of sleeplessness during the night I had a plan this morning to start getting things organized with calving coming up in mind.  I thought I would be with Pat's mom today, but am so glad to have this wonderful day and all that I am discovering to make our lives more livable and comfortable here in the midst of the final leg of Ruth's remodel.  Next up is the texturing of the walls and then painting on the horizon.
Luke hears the tractor and wants to ride with grandpa, and Rose found the tape measure and is following her mother's example.   Rose's favorite thing to look at is a sample book of paints... being molded in the image of her mother whose motto is - "nothing is impossible to accomplish."
Giving the dogs a drink with the white snowy farmscape.
Cleaning my temporary kitchen... I found this reminder on the freezer this morning.  Maria made this sign probably 12 years ago when she came home from discerning her call at the Poor Clare Monastery.  Since then Hallel has discerned that she is called to be a nun in the Community of the Lamb, and John was in seminary for a year discerning out of the priesthood for now.  So much fasting continues to bear fruit.  It was good to see it as I was just about to put a roast in for today, and then I remembered that it is Friday... eggs or tomato soup instead.
It felt so good to dig in and clean and organize and find some things that we needed but had got lost in the big shuffle of moving and all.  Walking in I was greeted by this sign I had made and put on the door coming in from our garage probably 20 years ago.  It has seen better days and will soon no longer be true.  The big move will be gradual and we will continue to be here through this calving season, so I am getting excited to be able to live in the new home for a few months.  What a wonderful family farm home it will be!
Part of my midnight planning is to get the computer ready for cow TV!  It feels good to see that we can find a nice spot for it until we can move downstairs!
Reminding me of my two little boys over the last month and how I would look up to see them looking around the corner at me... it warmed my heart to see my toddler, Luke, smiling at me a short time ago while I was organizing our computer.  My sweet 3 youngest grandsons have filled my heart with love and some peace and joy in the midst of this crazy time in our lives.
something fun and special I found in my organizing today was a container of Belgian cookies we had made for Christmas and froze.  The grandkids and grandpa found them and for payment they had to pose for grandma with those wonderful unexpected treats in the midst of our living in the midst of construction.  We shared some with the guy here working on the walls.  "Did you make those?  They sure are good."  "Yes, those I do help with." said Pat and he does! 

It just feels so good to have this gift of an unexpected day today, and realizing that I have not had a day to clean and organize for a month now.  I know that Nancy is doing much the same today in her new home as her stuff is in her home and they slept in their bed for the first time last night!  It is so crazy as we all are on this similar track in our moves and major changes we face.  It certainly has put us in a weak and lowly and humble place where we need to look to Jesus with each step that we take. 
Yum!

The amazing 51st Psalm today is so appropriate for me on this journey of my life at loose ends lately...
My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit;
a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn.
I am overwhelmed by changes like this in my life... I do not do it well and change is grating and hard and scary and dirty and hard and shaky and miserable and sickening and overwhelming and dusty and reason for anger and harsh words and just plain old tiring and a lot of hard work!  One good thing about it is I see how weak and sinful and selfish and lazy I am and that makes me humble and low and weak and when I discover that self - I need Jesus, and I turn to him.  All I want is Jesus morning, noon and night!
A casualty of my being gone for a month - my one houseplant died.

Jesus, I need you!  Jesus, I want you!  Jesus, all I ever want is to die to self so that you may live in me and I may be on the narrow path carrying/dragging my Most Cherished Cross and moving toward heaven forever with you!  I thank and praise you that I have been given this small slice of heavenly gift today of a suddenly free day to dig in and feel more at home and blessed in the midst of this craziness of change.  May the fruits of the Spirit reign in our hearts, minds and souls -Galatians 5:22-23New International Version (NIV)
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.
O Lord, how I long for these fruits to come forth in my life!  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
Unearthing some great things today!  It sure feels good!  Thank you, Lord.  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
all the windows are covered for texturing and painting ahead!  Pat out pushing the snow through the plastic covering. 
A pretty snowy landscape on the way to Watertown, SD yesterday.  Definitely back to winter!
Getting ready for Cow TV and watching the calving barn.  Lord, we ask that you give us a good calving season ahead.





This is where I am a lot these days and it is hard to say "Yes, Lord, I will follow after you."
Danielle Rose - The Saint that is just me
Francesca Batistelli - Write your story

No comments:

Post a Comment