Tuesday, April 12, 2016

After 10p, pink shirt, deacon dad, priceless sharing/belief in The Bread of LIFE!

Finally able to sit and share some after a couple whirlwind days.  I am so blessed to have both of my parents still with me, and love to find a 24 hours here and there to escape the chaos and become a cherished child again in many ways.  I sit at the feet of my wise wonderful parents and allow my mom to make me meals and just sit and visit for hours on end.  My mother is thankfully turning the corner from struggles with pneumonia... after 3 antibiotics she seems to be on the right one!  She turns into bed at 9p, so after my sister left, who was visiting, dad and I had some special time visiting.  It is so special and wonderful to me after many years that this would not be possible due to his almost totally lost hearing.  Thanks to a cochlear implant he has returned to us!  It really struck me when I witnessed him having a phone conversation with a 93 year old college roommate... how miraculous his gift of hearing is!
Sitting with my dad in the quiet of their home... I found myself in love with his wonderful pink shirt in the lamp light as we visited about past memories - army days as the WW2 came to an end, on guard duty in the Philippines when he heard the call to the ministry, applying at one college to find that it was full, then to Kalamazoo where the following year he met mom/divine providence 67 years ago!  We talked about the simple wedding in the chapel at First Presbyterian church where her grandfather presided over the ceremony.  Then a simple family reception at her parents home.  We talked about the death of his mother when I was 8... about the year that Jimmy was born - #6 in our original 7.  Dad didn't remember if we all went to Wisconsin for that funeral.  He talked about an assembly line job he and mom had the summer after they were married.  Dad and his team would load cars on railroad cars. 
Cane in hand, which should be his constant companion, but he leaves it behind time to time.  He shared with me his new icon of St John the Evangelist... the disciple who Jesus loved and whose Gospel and Epistles are filled with LOVE and LIGHT!  He also wrote Revelations.  My wonderful dad - Permanent Deacon for 40 years on April 11th!  Ordained with the first group of permanent deacons for the Arch Diocese!  http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/the-amazing-story-of-13-becoming.html

I can always count on dad to have some pearls of wisdom for me.  This time we discussed praying for the dead, and tears shed in our lives showing how deeply we love and share in the pain and joy of Christ and His Church.
Yes, I was in love with that smooth shining pink shirt and how wonderful my dad looks and sounds and responds now with hearing ears at the age of 91!  Every step they take to improve his health at The Vets - he has to be tested to discern if it is worth the time and money.  The answer is a resounding YES!  He has now had his new ear for 6 years and 2 was good enough.  We have been given the gift of our dad back, and it is truly a wonderful blessing!  What can I say for how he led us to The Church, which we both love without reservation and grow in understanding together?  Sharing the most important thing in the world - the Spiritual LIFE - with my parents is all a girl could want!
I feel that I have been allowed to get a taste of the contemplative life I considered with my discerning a call to religious life when I can pray slowly and lovingly and prayerfully with my parents in the morning when we rise for the new day.  They with their well worn prayer books turning from this part to that... I with my office on my phone can join them effortlessly!  The words are shared with great thought and emotion and prayerfully... then a "hedge of protection" is placed around each family.  With over 100 of us now that is a huge responsibility and fills us all with a lot of peace knowing that we are prayed for each day.  To look across at my wonderful parents united in Christ and His Bride, The Church... such models to me and all the marriages in our family. 
From my early Catholic days - decoupaging Bible verses, daily mass, my nun years... Thomas Merton and Thomas A'Kempis.  I do hunger and thirst, and there is so much that I am filled each and every day with the finest food and drink - Jesus in His Body and Blood, Jesus in His Word, Jesus in all those that surround me most especially those in my domestic Church/family including my wonderful parents, who are still together to witness to a united marriage with Jesus as the head!

We are getting deeper into the amazing Gospel of John 6:30-35 today!  The words of Christ to us...  I am the bread of life, whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.  There are many in our life that question this Truth - those that are not in The Church find this hard just as many of the disciples of Christ left him at this point then.  It means to much to me that I am able to share the belief of The Eucharist with my parents, children, children in laws, and grandchildren - one and all!  There is no better gift or JOY to fill my heart, mind and soul!  Sharing Christ in His Body and Blood is becoming ONE with HIM, and that is a miracle of LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT!

My friend, Scott Hahn, shared this today and to have him also understanding the Truth with me is amazing, too!


Jesus, I am yours and I long to die more and more so that you may live in me.   I am fed by you and long to come to you often and with total mind, heart and soul set upon you...  "My Lord and My God!"  I am so grateful that my mom is regaining her strength and health.  Continue to hold her in the palm of your hand.  Jesus, we believe that you are Life-giving water and we never thirst!  Isaiah 55:1New International Version (NIV)

Invitation to the Thirsty

55 “Come, all you who are thirsty,
    come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
    come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk"
This is so Eucharistic and is what my father read as the Holy Spirit led him and all of us (13) into The Church!  Each day is a glorious gift in The Church... how I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it with no reservations!  Jesus, I look to heaven and see you there and long to join you there forever after this journey of life... may I always be ready.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
Breaking bread with my parents...   Be my rock of refuge, a stronghold to give me safety.  You are my rock and my fortress; for your name's sake you will lead and guide me.  Into your hands, O Lord, I comment my spirit.  Psalm 31  from mass today.  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
Always love to share talk of art, theology and family with my mom... the hours fly by and our cups are filled.
Yes!
Especially for my dad today- he is one of the few, who reads my blog and his favorite verse - "I am The way, the Truth and the LIFE."  Jesus
 
Lauren Daigle - Trust in you
Lauren Daigle - How can it be
Danielle Rose - Pursue Me
from Nancy today - a child's Mary garden.  I love that we all adore our spiritual Mother of God from the 90 year old great-grandparents on down! 
Now from Missouri comes smiles from Patrick, and...
from Romeo!  They look like they have been out in the sun.  Here it is chilly and rainy today, but looking ahead to the end of the week it should be in the 70s and field work/planting is to begin!  Lord, be with all the farmers... keep them safe and sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment