Saturday, July 30, 2016

"See, you lowly ones, and be glad... For the Lord hears the poor..." Psalm 69

John's shirt says a lot about how the fight goes on not only for him but for all of us... there is no finish line we cross in life and our battles, but we go forward down the narrow path ahead of us.  It is a goal ahead of us to be forever in heaven, and our earthly fight is with our own weaknesses, the snares of the devil and all that comes to us in the way of distractions and battles we are called to fight!  How do we keep focused and always strive for that finish line?  By starting and ending each day with prayer and focusing on Jesus in His Word and Sacraments with the help of our Spiritual Mother of God, Mary Most Holy, and all the Saints.  So much help is given to us if we only ask and receive!
After praying morning prayer with John and watching the commentary for WYD on EWTN with him as they talked about the devotion Saint John Paul II promoted and lived to Our Lady ... it is powerful to read these words on the back of John's shirt... I am strength, I am Hope, I am a survivor.  John has experienced much that has humbled him as the result of his brain cancer battle starting 7 years ago on Father's Day, and the pieces of humble pie continue to be served to him.  http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/johns-cancer-stories.html
Rose and John working together yesterday...
It is special to see the close relationship John has with Mary.  He thinks the world of this kind and humble girl, who shared the Community Theater play put on this summer along with younger brother, David.  I think that the bug to be on stage performing has been given to Mary from her Uncle John. 

I will never forget speaking with my daughter, Maria, about how it seems that we are called to be humble every time you turn around in the Gospel.  "A famous saint once said; 'The three main virtues are Humility, Humility, Humility.' "   If there is one thing I have discovered and not learned very well is that in marriage and life in general we are to embrace humility and give without counting the cost.  Turning the other cheek - "Wounded, I will not cease to love."  Following the example of the Lamb is how Hallel's Community of the Lamb asks them to live their lives in community.

Mary, David and their precious Fudgy their kitten they raised.

Yes, being humbled in painful and we try to get around it whenever possible, but there are lessons in it in each new day.  But the Psalm from mass today should give us the desire to ask for humility to afflict us more and more... 
"See, you lowly ones, and be glad;
you who seek God, may your hearts revive!
For the Lord hears the poor,
and his own who are in bonds he spurns not."
Lord in your great love answer me.

There is the Litany of Humility and it is crazy to pray it after we are inundated with the exact opposite from the world's standards!  Blessed Teresa, soon to be Saint, and her order pray this each week!

O Jesus! meek and humble of heart, Hear me.
From the desire of being esteemed,

Deliver me, Jesus.
From the desire of being loved...
From the desire of being extolled ...
From the desire of being honored ...
From the desire of being praised ...
From the desire of being preferred to others...
From the desire of being consulted ...
From the desire of being approved ...
From the fear of being humiliated ...
From the fear of being despised...
From the fear of suffering rebukes ...
From the fear of being calumniated ...
From the fear of being forgotten ...
From the fear of being ridiculed ...
From the fear of being wronged ...
From the fear of being suspected ...

That others may be loved more than I,
Jesus, grant me the grace to desire it.


That others may be esteemed more than I ...
That, in the opinion of the world,
others may increase and I may decrease ...
That others may be chosen and I set aside ...
That others may be praised and I unnoticed ...
That others may be preferred to me in everything...
That others may become holier than I,
provided that I may become as holy as I should…
Rose Ida and Bernadette...Cousins that love each other!  In a few days we are heading South to spend some time with 2 daughters and their families - the occasion is the Baptism of youngest grandchild, Josephine!  It looks like we will go with her Godfather, John, as well as Rose and Big Dave.  Rose has been very attached to her mother, but she is packing her bag to go and see Bernadette!

Lord, I will never forget when I had my hip replacement and called Hallel in France - "I am such a mess and I can't do anything for myself.  I am in such pain and helpless."  "Mom, when we are weak is when we need Jesus and turn to him."  "I guess I always want to be weak then, because I always want my Jesus!"  I am a mess old and overweight with a sore knee and a less than glowing attitude when I am put upon... I am truly humbled and it is not a pretty or wonderful sight.  Yes, I need you and long to be with you always and forever.  May I lay my burdens at your feet and then limp down the narrow path carrying/dragging my Most Cherished Cross and following after you to find LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT through your Cross!  Jesus, I trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
Soon granddaughter #6 will join us!  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
The 13 await her arrival - LIFE is a gift to be protected and cherished from conception to natural death!  Being open to life and raising LIGHTS for the world of darkness...

God is in control!

I need to remember this!
Danielle Rose - The Litany of Humility








No comments:

Post a Comment