Thursday, July 14, 2016

"You have probably snapped a million beans in your life!"

Out on the deck in town with my mother-in-law yesterday.  I brought along some daisies that Ruth has growing by our barn with a lone black eyed Susan.  It seemed appropriate as I read to her the short note we had gotten from Susan/Hallel the day before telling us that she is now in Poland at World Youth Day!  It was a 3 day drive for them to make from Rome to Krakow, and then on August 2nd she will be making a 3 day trip to Saint Pierre, France.  Hallel has her driver's license in Europe, so I imagine she could be the driver at least part of the time!  She has accomplished so much over these years in The Community of the Lamb - she left here 8 years ago now!  She is speaking fluent French and now Italian is added as well as her driver's license.  All huge in my book, but I can just see her shrug and laid back attitude about it all. 
A close up of her smile in the photo she sent us- "I am sending this picture because the sisters by accident copied off too many and I thought that mom is always happy to have a picture of her daughter (even if the picture is not that beautiful.)  The picture is from a "little outing" that we did one day to a small town not that far away that has two very beautiful Romanesque churches."
I brought in an ice cream pail of beans to snap.  My mother-in-law wasn't up to it..."I bet you have snapped a million beans over your lifetime!"  "I think my bean snapping days are over."  Life can come to that point?  She has always jumped in to help when she is over for canning and freezing days... even last year!  I teased her that I will not hesitate to just enjoy the company and sit and watch the younger ones do the work!

St Kateri today, and it fills the day with a very special embracing of The Cross when we realize the hardships that filled her life, and still she persevered in her love of Jesus and living a very contemplative life of prayer and love of the sacraments!
SaintoftheDay Kateri Tekakwitha (1656-1680), also known as 'Lily of the Mohawks' was born in present-day New York. Her father was a Mohawk chief and her mother an Algonquin who was converted to the Christian faith by Jesuit missionaries. When Kateri was four years old a smallpox epidemic killed her entire family and left her partially blind, disfigured, and crippled. She was raised by her uncle w...ho detested the Christians. As she grew, Kateri longed for the faith of her mother and was drawn to the missionaries evangelizing near her village. At the age of 20 Kateri was secretly baptized with the name Catherine (which translates “Kateri”) after St. Catherine of Siena. Her uncle opposed her conversion, and as a result she was ostracized from her village and treated harshly. When her life was in danger, with the aid of a priest she fled to a French Jesuit mission in Montreal, Canada. There she lived a life of prayer and penance. Her great sanctity, virtue, and love for Christ amazed everyone who knew her. She was also known as a miracle worker. She died from an illness at the age of 24. She was beatified by Pope St. John Paul II in 1980 and canonized in 2012 by Pope Benedict XVI as the first Native American saint. St. Kateri is the patron of environmentalists and orphans. Her #feastday is July 14. #MorningOffering
Lunch in the sun and the pile of fresh beans...

The wonderful words of the Gospel today apply to all of us, but with St Kateri in mind and heart...  We see how she was able to persevere no matter the cost and pain.  She had the LOVE of her Jesus there to get her through and the yoke of chastity and giving her all to HIM certainly was a light load to carry! 

Jesus said:
“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened,
and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you and learn from me,
for I am meek and humble of heart;
and you will find rest for yourselves.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”
Matthew 11:28-30
A great picture Nancy shared today of Gus making great advances in his swimming skills in their neighborhood pool!

Lord, life goes on and we face the changes that come to us.  Many times those changes include some hardships and yokes... if we but come weak and humble to you... we will find the strength to carry it forward and die to self so that you will live in us.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah

Nancy's 2 girls...  It was so great to have our wonderful week together on the farm and now we will gather for Josie's baptism in early August in KC!  "Family time is the Best!"  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke

Lord, help me to give without counting the cost most especially in my domestic Church/family!

Give me the strength, Lord!



"I am not my own; I have given myself to Jesus He must be my only love. The state of helpless poverty that may befall me if I do not marry does not frighten me.  All I need is a little food and a few pieces of clothing. With the work of my hands I shall always earn what is necessary and what is left over I'll give to my relatives and to the poor.  If I should become sick and unable to work, then I shall be like the Lord on the cross.  He will have mercy on me and help me, I am sure."- St Kateri Tekakwitha

No comments:

Post a Comment