Friday, September 30, 2016

"My journeys you scrutinize, with all my ways you are familiar..." Psalm 139

"I love the sun!" Mom sitting on the sun porch reading her daily prayers books just 2 days away from her 97th birthday! 

I have noticed that she adores laying in the sun in her bed or on the sun porch over this last year and a half on hospice care, but I imagine that it goes much deeper than warming her aging bones.  As a forever farm wife and girl growing up on the farm since 1919... the sun is hugely important to her!  I am sure that the hot sun was there all those 97 years for her to toil in - working hard in garden, home and field, but I am sure she relished it upon her face and back knowing that the sun was important to make the crops and garden grow to feed her family.  We all get down after days and days of sun hidden behind clouds, but for those that make their living from the land... it goes very deep indeed.  Yes, we need the rains, but the Sun is so very needed and important to us!
The Christ tears/Hoya plant that came with me when I married Pat 38 years ago!  In my apartment it had grown through wicker furniture and climbed my walls, too!  Mom got a cutting when she moved to town in 1989, and over these last 27 years it has loved this sunroom and filled it with shiny healthy green life!  A few times a year is blooms and puts out clusters of soft velvety blossoms with a sweet smell and a dew drop on each blossom - hence the name Christ's tears!  You smell the blossoms and tears before you see them nestled in the leaves overhead!

Much to ponder today in the readings and also the Saint for today - Saint Jerome is mind boggling in what he accomplished for the entire world... the translation of the entire Bible!  Crazy to consider doing that and how much effort, prayer and time it took him to accomplish this by hand!
Beans being harvested last evening... a wonderful crop this year!

The first reading from Job38-40 in which God basically puts Job in his place good and proper...  Have you lit the sky with the day or comprehended the earth or the darkness or commanded that there is light in the world... in my own words he is asking Job if he has any input in how this world works.  Job answers with sorrow for missteps and humility...  much as we are called to do each time we come to our Lord in Reconciliation!
Ed dumping the beans from the combine into the grain cart on the "fly." 

Speaking about Reconciliation... Psalm 139 from mass today is the bomb!  It speaks of how God knows everything about us, so why try to sweep it under the rug and hide it?  One verse that jumped out to me was about our journeys because this is what we are all on.  My journeys and my rest you scrutinize, with all my ways you are familiar.  Where can I go from your spirit?  From your presence where can I flee?  If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I sink to the nether world, you are present there.  Truly you have formed my inmost being; you knit me in my mother's womb.  I give you thanks for I am fearfully, wonderfully made; wonderful are your works.  Guide me, Lord, along the everlasting way. 
Ruth showing Luke that Baby is our pet cow and you can pet her!

When the ponder the idea of "journey"... it really became a powerful personal one for me with the brain cancer that struck our 20 year old son, John, 7 years ago!  The path was there to go down with the words from Hallel as we started to take our first steps that Father's Day 2009..."This is the storm and Jesus is in control!"  Just as God the Father pointed out to Job today in the first reading from mass... God/Jesus/The Holy Spirit/The Trinity/Three in ONE is in control of all that comes our way in LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT which comes to us through the Cross!
Luke eating ice cream in the clouds!

Yes, Lord, you are truly in control of our lives and each time we attempt to try to run things we get ourselves separated from you and your LOVE and unconditional forgiveness.  We long to come to you in The Confessional and lay our burdens and sins at your feet - why hold any back or try to hide them?  You see them all and know us inside and out!  We leave there free and forgiven and given your Mercy!  We then are asked to take and return that to all those in our lives - most especially those the closest to us in our domestic Church/family!  dMay we continually give ourselves over to you and die to self so that we may serve without counting the cost.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
David in the clouds!

Lilly sees a chance for some ice cream or at least a face to lick!
Mary is now swimming with the swim club!  Her mom and aunts did that before her, and that will be a good thing for her.  You just compete against yourself and work at improving with time and practice!
Imagine the warm sun and the wonderful oxygen thanks to this amazing healthy plant filling the sun room!  The best medicine! 
Such glorious weather!
Hard to do, but the Cross does bring LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT into the world!
Yes.
I have so fallen in love with The Scriptures these last years.. thanks to The Magnificat, The Community of the Lamb, and Seeing Jesus in The Word!
the-only-advice-i-have-for-new-moms

These two were away helping a friend with splitting and stacking wood when I arrived there a week ago!  Doing the big jobs with a smile!


No comments:

Post a Comment