Tuesday, October 4, 2016

"enlighten the darkness of my heart and give me true faith..." St Francis prayer before the crucifix



Gathering around our wonderful "grandma" last night sharing our love for her!  It always amazes me at how she lights up and reaches out for the little ones.  She wants each one to come and give her a hug and a kiss as they enter and leave!  A true lover of life and of the wonderful creation we are given in this world!
St Francis is filling this day to the brim!  Happy Feast Day, Pope Francis!  Many rich prayer and talk and prayer and enthusiasm for the great special HUMBLE Saint we have today in our St Francis!


I am back after much of the day away in town, with an hour and a half in prayer with Jesus in adoration.  How I smiled hugely when I put Ruth and Paul's new little girl in there for the first time knowing that she will join us and her 2 girl cousins born within 10 months of each other!  I can already see grandpa Pat with his arms full of 3 little girls after having 3 grandsons in the same year a couple years ago.  God is certainly good, and we are thrilled with FAMILY and FAITH and FARM shared!
Grandma reaching out to touch the kids...


Today John is going to speak to a large gathering of Catholic women about an hour and a half away.  To be speaking on this amazing feast of St Francis really showed the similarities to John...  In the 1200s when he lived there was scandals among the clergy and a decline in attendance at church much like today.  He converted in his early 20s to a life of new found faith and prayer, much like John.  His prayer in front of the crucifix which hangs in the Little Monastery in KC and all their monasteries around the world...  His words are a bit more eloquent than John's half-hearted "give me faith."  But they are really asking for the same thing and with the same result...enlighten the darkness of my heart and give me true faith, certain hope, and perfect charity, sense and knowledge, Lord, that I may carry out your true command.  All John burns to do is to share his story of finding Faith through brain cancer!
http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/johns-cancer-stories.html
Lots of help blowing out the candles on the day after her 97th birthday!


The Gospel today reminds me that I am kind of a whiney Martha and not very quick or willing to do the work and to serve!  I probably choose the better part often and will fight tooth and nail to carve out my prayer time.  I do feel that this time of prayer is probably the most important thing I do all day, but I also know that we are called to serve and be a willing and giving servant!
There was a beautiful fall arrangement outside of church... I was very excited to go in and spend some time with my Lord and place our 200 family members with Jesus - I simply place them with him and know that he loves them and understands their needs and how to answer prayers for them by far better than I! " Jesus and Mary, I love you, save souls!"


Jesus, such a huge celebration today as we look to St Francis... who taught us about poverty, humility and prayer.  May we ask him to intercede for us this day, and be with John as he goes to share his story.  This morning he laughed remembering that on the way to Assisi the train was stopped and they had to go sit in the pasture with the sheep and the goats - " a big dose of humble was served to us that day by St Francis, but it was kind of peaceful and an experience we would never have had without the train being put off schedule/on strike."  Yes, they did get to Assisi eventually and found it a wonderful place in Italy!  It was there that Maria felt her call to join the Poor Clares for 7 months to discern that she not called to her disappointment.  Now to welcome her little girl on October 25th!  Lord, we are yours and may I gain the strength to sit at your feet and then go forth to serve without counting the cost.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
The best hour I spend all week!  I am so happy when I find myself in town on Tuesday or Thursday and have a chance to stop and be Mary for a while sitting at the feet of Jesus "listening to him speak...Mary has chosen the better part and it will not be taken from her."  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke

No comments:

Post a Comment