Thursday, October 20, 2016

"...every family is named...that Christ may dwell in your hearts through Faith." St Paul to the Ephesians

It is MEA vacation, and this was the sight that greeted me out my window this morning... the track tractor parked by my sweet red barn with the sign still on it from June - Family Time is the Best!  I have been asked if I wanted the sign changed, but it just continually reminds me of our family united always/ although not physically together that much, in the Spirit of our Faith/Family/Farm!

I was very intrigued to find the word "family" in the reading from St Paul to the Ephesians today, and even more excited by the way he described how we are "named" in order to receive graces "to be strengthened with power through his spirit in the inner self, and that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith..."  He goes on in a most marvelous way from this point, but I must pause and ponder this amazing picture in contrast to the Gospel today in which Jesus speaks about the divisions in our families.
Prime family time with Pat's mother this summer after mass on Sunday - we had come to share breakfast out on her porch after sharing mass as a family! 

When I read with trepidation the Gospel from Luke12 about how families will be divided one against the other and that Christ has come to bring this about... "Do you think that I have come to establish peace on the earth?  No, rather division!"  I wonder at this, but then I look at my and Pat's large families and I see this lived out.  I do see the message of St Paul more at work in our domestic Church/family that in our shared Faith we are united and the blessings pour out upon us - not that we don't experience our hardships and crosses and suffering, but that we rely on Christ and His Bride, The Church to get us through and realize that by embracing the Cross we find LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT!
A fabric painting I did for a quilt for Ruth when she left for college. Now I want to make one for Ruth as she has the same life she grew up with and now lives in this same house!  All the buildings are different though, so it would have a much different look on Ruth's version. This speaks so poetically for me of the close family we have been blessed with through sharing our Faith with JOY in our home!
The painting that is now in my kitchen framed by St John Paul II and Our Lady...
A oldie of my wonderful parents underneath, who are still with me on this journey and led me into The Church 45 years ago!
I am the oldest of 11... Yes, there are divisions amongst us, and there are those that we share the same heart of The Church!  My prayers are for us to be together in heaven!  I already have a sister there - Mary with dark hair and wearing a pink velvet dress on the order of mine.  She is Godmother to two of my girls and keep our eyes focused on heaven.
Pat's family when there were 3 yet to join them.  Pat is the toddler in his dad's arms, and was the 6th of 10.  A family now united in caring for Pat's mom on hospice.  Yet, due to many following different paths and no longer supporting our love for The Church - here too we have those divisions and there is some of that pain experienced as the Gospel speaks to us.  Most of us share a love for Jesus, and that unites us more than not.  Yet, for one that has come to chose my Catholic Faith as an adult, and feel that it is the True Church... it is hard to have those that reject this that grew up in The Church.  Yes, hard. 
John's Baptism day - being baptized by my dad, who is a permanent deacon in The Catholic Church!  How I love sharing my Faith with my parents, some siblings and their families and our kids and their families, Hallel and John!  It gives us the strength we need to evangelize The Truth!

St Paul goes on to say... "that you, rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the holy ones what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, so that you may be filled with all the fullness of God..."    The LOVE part is what we have experienced through our being held up in prayer through the crosses of John's brain cancer and Patrick's traumatic birth!  Yes, this bridged the gap and all were united in prayer and support through prayer.  Prayer certainly does bridge the gap! 
Ruth's cute collage - life certainly does get messy!

Jesus, thank you for helping me to realize that our Faith in you and our shared love for one another and time in prayer lifting up those in need do bridge the gap for our families.  May we cling to that shared love and not on the things that divide us.  I do love and thank you for the love of The Church we share in our domestic Church/family!  May we continue to return the mercy we have been shown and love and give and serve without counting the cost.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
Sharing mass together and our love for Jesus and His Bride, the Church!  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke

United in prayer - My Mother of God is always with me on this journey and I am so filled with HOPE and PEACE!
I read that he painted the first portrait of Mary... I thought with words, but maybe...
More great camping pictures from Missouri!  Patrick's camping birthday weekend!
9 month pregnant Maria in the hammock.


No comments:

Post a Comment