Monday, October 17, 2016

Our treasure - "rich in what matters to God, who is rich in mercy, because of his great love for us"... it's a no brainer!

Pondering this most beautiful time of year... I look out the window at our hedge in full fall colors, and gaze upon the golden harvested corn field filled with our 150 cows spread out over the many acres of gold in the beautiful sunrise!  Our world looks to be a most wonderful place and then I read the words to us this morning from St Paul to the Ephesians 2:1-10 - each word a pearl of great prize/a treasure that brings groans to my throat and a huge smile of delight to my face and a quickening of my heart filled with so much love and thanksgiving to my loving and forgiving Savior, Jesus Christ!  The amazing thing is that just like us, St Paul never met Christ while he walked on the earth, and through the Holy Spirit descending on him and blinding him by the LIGHT... he became his most ardent follower and evangelized the Gentile world!
In the foggy morning with the spectacular sky of dawn... with about 300 bales on one side of the fence and 150 cows eating the stalks on the other.

I cannot pick out just a sentence here and there - each word and sentence is a gift, so I am going to share today's first reading from mass for you all to groan over also!
"Brothers and sisters:
You were dead in your transgressions and sins
in which you once lived following the age of this world,
following the ruler of the power of the air,
the spirit that is now at work in the disobedient.
All of us once lived among them in the desires of our flesh,
following the wishes of the flesh and the impulses,
and we were by nature children of wrath, like the rest.
But God, who is rich in mercy,
because of the great love he had for us,
even when we were dead in our transgressions,
brought us to life with Christ (by grace you have been saved),
raised us up with him,
and seated us with him in the heavens in Christ Jesus,
that in the ages to come
he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace
in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus.
For by grace you have been saved through faith,
and this is not from you; it is the gift of God;
it is not from works, so no one may boast.
For we are his handiwork, created in Christ Jesus for good works
that God has prepared in advance,
that we should live in them."
Ephesians 2:1-10
A farm portrait on this fall morning...
John and I shared the powerful story of St Ignatius of Antioch on this his feastday!  Many pictures of him surrounded by the instrument of death - the jaws of the lions in the arena!  On his way to his death he wrote 7 letters, much like those of St Paul to the Ephesians, spelling out beauty and wonder of our Mother Church... put into place by our loving and forgiving Jesus Christ!  He spoke of becoming the bread of Christ as he was ground up by the teeth of the lions.  This all happened not long after St Paul's lifetime as he was martyred in 107... talk about the roots of our amazing and glorious Church!
This was shared today - Mother Angelica speaking about an informed conscience and beautiful words about Mother Church and so powerful to listen to with the elections coming up.  Her heart for The Church's position of Truth in this mixed up world is so heartening and uplifting and makes me want to shout the Truth from the rooftops!  I love, love, love The Church with all that I have within me!
So very powerful and we are asked to stand up for our Faith no matter the cost!
In prayer shared with John in the dark before he leaves for work at 7a - he thanked the Lord that sharing morning prayer including the Saint for the day and the readings from mass - "get me off on the right foot for my day ahead."  So true and such a blessing to me to have my men to start the day with prayer before they go off to work!  Thank you, Lord!
Yesterday's readings from Ephesians were equally powerful and my friend, Scott Hahn, loves Jesus in his Word and The Church!  How delightful to read the feelings of my heart, mind and soul put into words so eloquently by this amazing man of God, who has brought many into The True Church!  Talk about an evangelizer par excellent!
This man tasted and knew the True Treasure was "what matters to God."  He knew that he would be "seated us with him in the heavens in Christ Jesus."  That is all we long for now and forever to be with Jesus in heaven... all else pales in comparison.  We can relate to the warning in the Gospel today and not be concerned with building new barns to store away the treasure... rather do our work diligently yet always putting Christ first and our eyes on the True Prize - heaven!
Lord, I am longing to keep my sights set on you in all I do and say and work and play and ups and downs... I want to never forget that I am forgiven unconditionally and can come to you in the confessional and get rid of all that separates us and comes between us, and distracts me from the work I am given at sharing The Truth no matter the cost to me!  May I die to self so that you may live in me, and so that I may be your hands and feet.  I am eternally grateful for your mercy that allows me to return that to all those in my domestic Church/family.  Jesus, I trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
St Therese and St Theresa of Calcutta - reminding us that we are called to do small things with great love!
Such a good reminder of not trying to do it on our own... Jesus is in control!
It is so good to watch my young farm family sharing farm life with our 3 generations!  Lord, keep the farmers safe and sane out there, and thank you for the very productive year we are having.  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke

Danielle Rose - Small things with great love
If we are the Body - Casting Crowns

No comments:

Post a Comment