Tuesday, March 7, 2017

"When psalms surprise me with their music..." Thomas Merton

Love this!  Our wonderful remodeled Church is so pretty now, and sharing mass with our family and our Church family, who we all know well after our almost 40 years of marriage, Pat living here his entire life, and sharing our Faith as a Family each week and through the Catholic School!

With Maria living at home for these months... I am gifted with the perspective of how wonderful has been our less complicated life in this moderately small town that we are planted in due to farming.  I observe her filling her days with working out/cross fit with some ladies she met while they lived here during January a few years back, the wonderful new library, the church we have always attended weekly as a family, the Catholic School where she and her sisters and brother attended and now her nieces and nephews, going around town to the post office and license bureau, just the ease of getting around and getting tasks done.  I have a greater appreciation for living in this great community, with all that it has to offer yet not big and complicated and hard to find a parking spot or taking a long time to get there or get something done.  It is a good life here in Marshall, Minnesota!  I can see in my kids when they return from some time in the Cities for school or work or living that this small/medium town life fills them with a peace and happiness and pulls them back.  I know that my husband will only be happy to have his family in a 10 mile radius, and it just might happen some day... well, not for Hallel for sure, but she is with us in the Eucharist and every 4 years for a few days home visit!


Sunday morning in Ruth's new farm light filled kitchen with all the wonderful activity of celebrating our holding Jesus in our hearts, minds and souls after mass! 
David has always loved to cook!  Making food for our big wonderful family is a special delight and gift for us from him!

Looking for my stations of the cross books last night for our time together praying them this lent - me and Maria.  I came across a book of poetry by Thomas Merton!  He takes me back to my early love filled light filled joy filled Catholic days.  Scanning the poems last night... these words give me a lot of happiness in this Truth - When psalms surprise me with their music... from his poem entitled A Psalm

How is this for an example?
Psalm 34 from mass today..

Responsorial Psalm Ps 34:4-5, 6-7, 16-17, 18-19

R. (18b) From all their distress God rescues the just.
Glorify the LORD with me,
let us together extol his name.
I sought the LORD, and he answered me
and delivered me from all my fears.
R. From all their distress God rescues the just.
Look to him that you may be radiant with joy,
and your faces may not blush with shame.
When the poor one called out, the LORD heard,
and from all his distress he saved him.
R. From all their distress God rescues the just.
The LORD has eyes for the just,
and ears for their cry.
The LORD confronts the evildoers,
to destroy remembrance of them from the earth.
R. From all their distress God rescues the just.
When the just cry out, the LORD hears them,
and from all their distress he rescues them.
The LORD is close to the brokenhearted;
and those who are crushed in spirit he saves.
R. From all their distress God rescues the just
Joe had just come in the door from Afghanistan after the traumatic birth of Patrick 4 years ago!  A scene similar to this with his kids will hopefully happen on Easter weekend in KC!


Some fake plans are in the air of getting Captain Joseph to KC to see Hallel on Easter weekend.  It is so wonderful to think that Hallel could get a chance to have a visit with Joseph as they haven't seen each other for years now!  That would be the frosting on the cake!  Our family time will be intense, powerful, filled with so much LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT, complete after the birth of our 15 grandchild in a month, and Maria being here now and able to share fully with her sister's first home visit in 4 years... my heart is full to bursting with JOY at how it is all falling into place!  For Joe to get some time with her and his family for Easter... the best!!!
4 years ago with her Kateri braids/Indian braids and her doll, Anna.  Today I got to give her Bernadette braids/French braids with ribbons!  I have not done her hair much since she has been here - we had fun, and with the strong winds outside this will help keep it out of her face.

Therese has been so interested in calving, and keeping tabs on how many we have on the ground now... approaching 30 calves born.  We had 3 overnight, and "Paul's favorite cow had her calf, and it is a nice white face heifer.  It will be in the herd for many years ahead!"  said grandpa Pat.  Therese is excited to get over there see it and give it a name, so that she can come and visit her over the years.  It is fun to watch her excitement and interest in calving.  It is helping the time pass and her not miss her dad too much in this time apart.
Her precious Anna always in her arms...
Now she has a baby sister, who is much more wonderful and interesting!


Lord, it has been a day of kids, reading to kids, being read to by kids, making and eating pancakes with kids, scattered thoughts of hopes and dreams and fake plans, scattered thoughts of days gone by filled with so much joy and light, which continues with each new day in my beloved Church, lingering joy at the gift I have been given by my father and husband listening to The Holy Spirit and setting our feet firmly upon the narrow path as we carry/drag our Most Cherished Cross and follow after you!
http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/the-amazing-story-of-13-becoming.html
http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/my-most-cherished-cross-patrick-gerard.html
Such joy as when your "psalms surprise me with their music!"  Too much wonderment fill me with all the gifts I am given each day in your Word, The Saints, my Mother of God and her prayer woven through my day filled with so much LIGHT/LIFE/LOVE!  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen
So much love for life pours forth from this wonderful young girl!  Her sister is such a gift to her, and she can sense that and responds with contentment and happy smiles and coos!
"Your  baby smiles surprise me with their love light pouring forth into my heart, mind, and soul."  from a poem named, Psalms of LIFE,  I am writing with my life these days embracing our time together with more effort, and thought, and energy as my heart is filled to carry through the times we are separated by 3 days journey! In mid-May the house will no longer be filled with lots of noise and activity and it will be oh so quiet.... Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
A true picture of LIFE!!!  A picture of a psalm of life surprising me with such beautiful music of smiles in the sunshine and having so many to share their lives and adventures and faith with!  While we were sitting working on home school this morning, Therese shared this with me out of the blue..."On my first Communion day, I took a long special shower because I wanted to be so clean for that special day!"  Such a powerful understanding of her receiving Jesus!  Wow!  I am so blessed to grow at the feet of my children and grandchildren in a deeper journey!  The clear vision of children and their clean hearts, minds and souls able to welcome our Lord in such a sweet and special way!
Image may contain: indoor
The Gospel today - The Our Father!  A prayer from Christ to us... none better!
Image may contain: 1 person

No automatic alt text available.
And write poetry with our lives and with words to add beauty to our world!
Image may contain: text

Image may contain: one or more people
Ruth's patron saint!
Image may contain: text





No comments:

Post a Comment