I thought they would fit well in a sympathy card I was making for Pat's Godmother, Bertha Louwagie. Today is her funeral and we were going to try to make it, but 4 calves in a row make that impossible. When I tried to print my pictures I discovered that our printer was not working and that led to one of those horrible mornings of trying to figure out computer/printer messes! We wonder why our life is so high anxiety - it is all the wires and computer language and asking you if you want this or that in language that is Greek to me! I am a mass of nerves now after hours of frustration!

One of those mystery pictures with the snow falling inside the barn! It still is cool, and a mystery to me of where it comes from and who looks at my pictures and adds falling snow? I usually add a picture of mine with a Bible verse on the front of the card, and I thought this one or the other one of Mary and Therese looking out a snowy cow and calf pair could be very meaningful for Bertha's family. Reading the Psalm for today - amazing Psalm 51! "My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit; a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn." This fits well with the humble and quiet woman Bertha was. I have heard sweet stories of how she was always willing to play games with the little ones - even lately when she was more weak and sick. That is something I would not willingly do even now! So selfless and loving she was!
Another one I thought to use - sweet one of the two little girls and the wintry cow-calf.
An icon of Our Lady with Jesus eating her chin out of LOVE in Kansas City in the old refectory. I love the light and the sentiment of Our Lady/ Mother of Heaven and earth! So fitting for Aunt Bertha, who was first of all a mother/grandmother/great-grandmother and also a farmer's wife! Motherhood was her main vocation in life after her marriage to Emil Louwagie - mom Verly's brother- just older than her of the 10 children. Quiet and smiling was a description of this gentle lady over the years. A description of Our Lady also!
Big in my hospice work is the place of walking into the sunset of our lives as we leave this world and enter the next. Aunt Bertha was on hospice the last day of her life, and I am sure that even that short time helped the family say goodbye and have peace that all was done for her to be in a good place as she left this world. Good as far as comfort and having had all her needs met from physical, spiritual and emotional. I am sure she left this world anointed and surrounded by many prayers - Pat and I were aware that she was approaching the end and were praying for her daily. This picture grabbed my heart as Our Lady stands in the snow with the sun setting behind her and the angels sitting around her feet. Life just got to crazy today to make it to the funeral, but our hearts and thoughts are with the family!
Jesus, this day in Lent with struggles and fasting we are made aware of how much we need you and depend on your LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT to be the Spirit within us giving us the strength to go forward down the narrow path carrying our Most Cherished Cross! "Fasting is a form of self-deprivation that deepens our appreciation of the longing for the food that we really need... We fast so that this Lent Christ will become our ALL." see www.magnificat.com Lord, we need to be fed by your Sacraments, Your Word, The Saints interceding for us along with Your Mother, Mary Most Holy, prayer without ceasing in the rosary and all prayer throughout our day! Jesus, bless the family of Aunt Bertha as a great LIGHT has left this world and entered the next. Jesus, we trust in YOU. Amen and Hallelujah
Three bears? No, I guess one is a cow-dog-sweet boy!
Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
St Perpetua and Felicity pray for us!
snowcat
Lead me to the Cross - Francesca Battistelli
John update... there is a sheet of ice covering Canby and school is canceled today. John was in charge over there for some things while Fr Craig is away conducting a retreat for the handmaids. John reports that it is wonderful helping Fr Craig! He is enjoying meeting the people and how happy they are when they come to visit. A wonderful touching story of how a lady awoke and responded to the Eucharist when Fr brought it to her! So powerful is our need for Jesus!




No comments:
Post a Comment