They did watch the live streamed graveside service for my mother, which was just 4 weeks ago today! How can we now be looking at my dad's end of life so soon after the quick passing of my mother? Dad did say right away that he would be leaving soon after her. He could still have months or even a year of more ahead, but he is now on hospice and that means that using natural comfort measures he is walking into the sunset of his life.
I could not believe that just as dad and I were sitting down to our fish supper - dad is a no meat on Friday guy no matter the season of The Church - that Pat pulled in the yard!
I don't know if this is known that I have hardly ever eaten meals with my hard working husband. Growing up he milked cows at supper time and that seems to be when he gets busy with feeding his cows etc. I eat about 7 and he usually shows up at about 8-9p. He would always have girls on his lap while he ate after we all were done. So to have him come and join us was a double treat to me. "I am eating with my dad and with my husband! I am in heaven or must be dreaming!"
I am overjoyed to have them together! Pat was 150% behind my dad being here! He called me over and over and insisted that dad should be with family! He was so right! Two of my 10 siblings with spouses and kids are here for the day!
"I think that I will take a nap in the sun." It makes my heart soar with happiness to have him here and seeming to be content and comfortable.
What he said about hospice after first the social worker and then the nurse spent the afternoon admitting him..."They promised me the moon if I need it!" Yes, any piece of equipment from an oxygen concentrator to a hospital bed could be here in a matter of hours if he needs it! They came with boost, baby monitor which was a Godsend last night, and adult underwear... Such a blessing to have them so willing and able and caring and wanting dad to have some wonderful time as he looks towards the end of his life.
Dad walking the circle I have in my house...A smile on his face - he made 7 circles and I have a feeling this will be his new exercise/activity.
With mom's passing so recent and my knowledge of how wonderful hospice is to have helping and supporting dad and I... I am thrilled that it is not all on my shoulders!
Walking past my wall of family in the kitchen...
Admiring St Therese - a gift from my sister Marty for my birthday! "She's lovely!" I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't give her a kiss in the morning like he would to his statue of Mary when he turned up the heat!
Writing down friends that he would like to let know that he is in the area... He lived 90 miles from my door to his in Colman, SD for 3 years from 1995-1998! Another time I felt so lucky to have both my wonderful parents as parish Administrators at St Peter's in Colman! I could buzz over there and hang out with them for a few hours and then come back home by time the kids got home from school. They made some good farmfolk friends there, and learned about farm and rural living in the prairie!
We are city folk from Boston, Flint, MI, and Minneapolis so this was a huge life lesson for my parents living on the prairie for 3 years! To share that with them along with our LOVE for Jesus and His Bride, The Church was an additional blessing and gift!
Today in the first reading St Peter and St John are commanded not to speak of Jesus and this is what they responded as my father, mother and I would also.
So they called them back
and ordered them not to speak or teach at all in the name of Jesus.
Peter and John, however, said to them in reply,
“Whether it is right in the sight of God
for us to obey you rather than God, you be the judges.
It is impossible for us not to speak about what we have seen and heard.”
After threatening them further,
they released them,
finding no way to punish them,
on account of the people who were all praising God
for what had happened.
Acts 4
After supper dad and Pat watched some TV... dad sat in a chair I just got from their home when they moved into Assisted Living! LOVED that sight!
His choclear implant battery ran out and we had to wait for his batteries to come this morning... so at about 8p til about noon today I had to write notes to communicate! We figured out the CC on the TV so he read the news!
His cochlear and his captions on the TV!
My sister-in-law, Elaine, is a nurse and was to thrilled to be able to spend some time with my dad after a month of no contact! So hard since my mother just died and left dad alone for the first time in 70+ years and really alone! No family was allowed to see him! Now he is in the embrace of his family and we are treating him like the King that he truly is!
My brother, Jim, helped to get dad's TV set up in his room! Just as Pat and I pictured my dad having his own place!
We moved the couch out so that dad could have his chair with his table beside it with his prayer books and rosary and remote controls!
The older crowd out on a gorgeous day on our porch... we had 23 for lunch! The fence crew came for lunch and Ruth made 6 pounds of BBQ! There were some 4 wheeler rides for cousins before they had to head back to work on the fence!
All the tables full of family all around my dad! He led the prayer before we ate our huge farm meal together! After all this time of isolation we are in such a state of joyful sharing of Faith/Family/Farm!
The fencers are happy to join in for a farm lunch!
Farmwife Ruth is such a help to me! Thankyou!
Dad with his family supporting, praying and loving! We number 140! So that is so much support and they are the wind beneath my wings!
Today Jesus tells his followers to "Go into the whole world and proclaim the Gospel to every creature."
Thinking about the family over at the farm seeing the baby kitties, chicks, ducks and calves... how we love to share our wonderful life on the farm!!! My family is thrilled to be here and we love to have them!
Dad worn out and in his new apartment at my home on the farm! Jesus, we trust in you. Bless-bless, Barb

https://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/johns-cancer-stories.html









No comments:
Post a Comment