In France after sharing evening prayer/Vespers and glorious Adoration on the altar in Trinity Cathedral... sharing out-of-the world time in the foothills of the Pyrenees Mountains a month ago with our daughter and our Family of the Lamb!
Today is Pat's 64th birthday, and my heart is full of thanksgiving and happiness for my Most Cherished Cross/Patrick Gerard Joseph Verly! Our faces are aglow and our eyes look deeply into our souls touched by deep deep prayer and experience of the peace and joy and fruits of the Spirit that flood us when we are focused on Jesus and leaving the world behind! Yes, their life is poor and rustic and truly out-of-this-world, and we hunger for that kind of place to dwell in our hearts in the midst of our crazy lives here on the farm and family and most of all FAITH!
My two precious red headed grandchildren... Romeo and Joy this summer at Camden!
Today is Romeo's 4th birthday which he shares with his grandpa Patrick! 60 years apart!!! Happy Birthday sweet boy!! Hope there are fake plans to see you soon somehow. Bless-bless, Grandma!
Evangeline and Romeo on the farm in June!
I am just off the phone with my parents and telling them that my husband has encouraged me to be there for my dad when he gets his stint replaced on the 26th. I am able to go up there the day before and then take dad and stay with him through all the day holds, bring him home and then be there for the next day to be sure that there are no complications. Dad was thrilled and thankful to my husband!
a fun visit with my brother and his wife recently in the shade drinking black berry margaritas from fresh berries!
As I was talking to my dad all the precious times I am given over these last few years staying for days at a time with my parents, who continue to hold onto their being together in their own home, filled my heart with huge thanks to my busy husband, who sacrifices a lot for me to go and spend time with them! He recalls how I helped his mom, and how much appreciated that was, so now he is very encouraging of my time with them. Thank you, Pat!
One of my most favorite time is when we pray together for our family! How we are lifted up and given hope for the journey by those prayers!
Today is the feast of Our Lady of Sorrows, and it is so personal and deep for me. The pain of watching those close to you die/years of working on hospice, the loss of 7 in my childbearing years, praying through the brain cancer of our 20 year old son, my girls losses in their childbearing years and when I am with them.... these tie me to My Mother of Heaven and earth standing at the foot of the Cross! She holds me close and her rosary is my lifeline to get me through the pain and find the Cross to actually be The Tree of LIFE!
Yes! Jesus gave his mother to me under those crosses, and I truly did bring her into my home, my heart, my mind, my soul, my domestic Church/family, my marriage, my LIFE! She shows me how to embrace the life-saving sacrifice I am called upon to give without counting the cost! "Wounded, I will not cease to love!" No, rather wounded I will learn to love more perfectly and selflessly!
What JOY!! I have been given permission to share the news that John and Bobbi are expecting their first child in March! We are over the moon excited and are praying without ceasing for baby Verly.
Prayer with every beat of my heart and every breath that I take is my sustenance!
From the Stabat Mater today...
Can the human heart refrain
From partaking in her pain,
In that mother's pain untold?
Yes, we as women will be sharing in the pain of Mary at the foot of the Cross in our lives and the lives of our children and their families! How much comfort and help we get, though, from Mary and Jesus and all the Saints and our amazing glorious Catholic Church! God will not abandon his Bride, the Church! Jesus, we trust in you. Bless-bless, Barb

Pat with his family, only missing Hallel, at John and Bobbi's wedding at the beginning of the summer!
,Missing the youngest 7 in France for Hallel's final vows a month ago... the mountain moved to France and it was so amazing!!! As son-in-law, Joseph, said;
"For me the trip was absolutely life changing. The liturgies, the prayer, and just the simple example of the sisters has washed over me and opened me to a more complete way to live in Christ."
Yes, may we carry that deep found Faith and Truth always in our inner chapels in the midst of all that pulls at us.
Our 5 here with us for this amazing journey of Faith/Family/Farm!
http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/my-most-cherished-cross-patrick-gerard.html
http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/johns-cancer-stories.html
The Gospel comes to life - the wise Virgins!
Deeply tied to this day is my time in the last year with Nancy in KC.... we were there for Thanksgiving and Nancy was 5 months pregnant. After putting the kids to bed, she came down in tears as it appeared she was losing the baby! Indeed, Max was dead and while we stayed with their 4, Bill and Nancy were induced to have him. In the midst of her pain, she encountered Mary our Mother of heaven and earth, and has fallen madly in love with her!
Here is her experience in her words!
MARY IS REAL, AND SHE LOVES YOU

Growing up Catholic, I have always known about Mary. But, if I’m going to be totally honest, I didn’t really know her.
I had gathered lots of facts and admired her as I might admire anyone from history that had done remarkable things. I enjoyed reading about her apparitions, I was perfectly willing to defend her doctrine and I loved seeing how beautifully she fit into the story of our salvation.
But all these facts and knowledge didn’t make me feel particularly close to her. She seemed to be little more than a distant, interesting figure, despite the fact that at one point in particular I clearly saw Mary at work.
Back in 2009, my little brother was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form a brain cancer. For a while, things looked pretty bleak. He endured a biopsy with catastrophic side effects and there was much debate about how to, and if they could, treat him.
Right in the middle of the worst of it all, my youngest sister was scheduled to take her habit and officially join an order of nuns…in France. Although it was completely crazy, my brother, mother, and I made the trip to France to watch my sister take her habit, wheelchair and all. Watching my little sister get her habit was a beautiful, powerful thing and a few days later, with my sister in full habit and brother supported by a walker, we journeyed to Lourdes, so that John could bathe in the miraculous waters.

(In Lourdes)
Lourdes is an incredible place. The streets are littered with abandoned wheelchairs and crutches, but the most remarkable sight is the vast crowd of sick people that stream out of the hospital each day to use the baths, each so very hopeful and faithful.
We all had an opportunity to bathe in Lourdes that day. My brother asked that they pour water over his head as well. I felt privileged to visit Lourdes, to bathe, but I can’t say that what I felt that day went much beyond a feeling of privilege.

(headed into the baths at Lourdes)
We left Lourdes still supporting my very sick brother. He returned home to rounds of chemo and radiation. He underwent stem cell replacement and an of people continued to lift him up in prayer.
And in the end, praise be to God, he was healed. It wasn’t an instantaneous healing, but it was a healing none the less.
Against all the odds, my brother’s cancer receded and he is here today, healthy, and planning a wedding this June.
Now, I am very happy about all of this, and I can intellectually see the role Mary played. She gave John hope, she renewed his faith amid this suffering and, I really believe, she directly interceded for my brother. After being to Lourdes, I respected Mary and admired her for all she did for those that came and bathed at Lourdes.
I was grateful, I respected her, but I continued to not really know her. And I was far from genuinely loving her.
Life continued on, as it does. I got married, welcomed 4 babies and was preparing to welcome a 5th.
The 5th pregnancy, as I have shared, was unplanned and a bit hard to accept. And yet, as all parents do, we had fallen in love with that little one. We had thought of names and become quite attached to what we had dreamed life would be like once he was here.
But, at 20 weeks, on Thanksgiving Day, my water broke and the baby, our little Maximilian, was lost.

(20 weeks pregnant with Maximilian, just days before we lost him)
The sudden trauma of a stillborn baby is hard to describe. While there is the shock of what has happened and the complete reordering of the future, there is also the physical reality of loss. A reality that requires induction, labor and delivery.
Simply, it’s awful.
I was ushered up to Labor and Delivery, given a robe and a room, just as I would have if I was there to deliver a full-term, healthy baby. The doctors and nurses were kind, but they generally just let me be. No need for monitors, there’s not heartbeat anyway. No need for checks or game plans. It’s just a matter of waiting and enduring.
And in that silent, dark room, the drugs started to drip in and my body started to slowly, painfully respond. The hours ticked by and we waited, not really knowing what to expect, except that the baby inside of me was dead and that the future we had fallen in love with was never going to be.
The hours we spent waiting for Maximilian to be delivered were some of the darkest I have experienced. I wept until I was completely dehydrated and numb, and yet, in those moments I also received one of the most profound gifts of my life.
I was allowed to experience Mary.
Thanks to all I had been taught growing up Catholic, I knew to call on Mary in my pain. I began to pray the ‘Hail Mary’, aloud and silently, and when that seemed too much, I fell into simply saying her name. “Mary, Mary, Mary,” and as I did, I could feel her presence in that room. She did not come gradually, but suddenly and all at once, as if she had been just waiting for me to call.
Thinking back on those moments I can visualize exactly where she was standing in the room, just to the right of my bed, looking directly at me. I never doubted that she was really there, right there. But more than anything I remember feeling a deep stillness emanating from where she stood. I knew she was there gazing on me with love.
My experience of Mary was really quite simple. There were no bright lights or premonitions or words from heaven. Just a feeling of peace and love, and the comfort of knowing that she was there and she loved me.
The weeks and months following the loss of our little Maximilian have been difficult, and I expect more struggles as we attempt to get pregnant and once more open ourselves up to the pain of loss. But the gift Mary gave me in that hospital room has endured. I no longer feel her presence as strongly as I did that day, but I am left with the knowledge of who she is.
And I can honestly say that I know Mary now. I tasted her love for me. I was able to touch, for just a few minutes, her tender hand and I know now that those same hands are holding my little Maximilian up in heaven.
The knowledge that Mary is really there has changed everything. I cling to my Rosary and attempt to carry her with me everywhere.
Nancy Bandzuch

Friends, today is the commemoration of the Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary, sufferings which demonstrated the depth of her love for her Divine Son, a love that is as deep for the Church. God's people are overcome with grief at so many who have been terribly victimized by bishops and priests. Some of the very ministers who were given the sacred mission to protect the faithful have betrayed their mission and their Lord and left the Church grievously wounded. The Mother of Sorrows, who grieved over the wounds inflicted on her Son in his Passion, grieves over the wounds inflicted on the Body of Christ in the world: the Church.
I ask that you join me in prayer today for those who have been sexually abused by bishops and priests. Let us grieve with them. But let us also do more than grieve; let us beg the intercession of the Mother of God, our Warrior Queen, whose great Magnificat calls forth the justice of God and reminds us that God has come to set right a world gone wrong. Let us petition the Mother of God that all those victimized by sexual abuse might know not only compassion but justice.
Throughout the day, I will be posting seven prayer graphics of the Mother of Sorrows as a call to prayer for all the victims of sexual abuse, and as a reminder that we must stand with and for those victims.
I ask that you join me in prayer today for those who have been sexually abused by bishops and priests. Let us grieve with them. But let us also do more than grieve; let us beg the intercession of the Mother of God, our Warrior Queen, whose great Magnificat calls forth the justice of God and reminds us that God has come to set right a world gone wrong. Let us petition the Mother of God that all those victimized by sexual abuse might know not only compassion but justice.
Throughout the day, I will be posting seven prayer graphics of the Mother of Sorrows as a call to prayer for all the victims of sexual abuse, and as a reminder that we must stand with and for those victims.
The Seven Sorrows of Mary:
* at the prophecy of Simeon (Luke 2:35);
* at the flight into Egypt (Matt 2:13);
* having lost the Holy Child at Jerusalem (Luke 2:48);
* meeting Jesus on His way to Calvary;
* standing at the foot of the Cross (John 19:25);
* Jesus being taken from the Cross;
* at the burial of Christ.
* at the flight into Egypt (Matt 2:13);
* having lost the Holy Child at Jerusalem (Luke 2:48);
* meeting Jesus on His way to Calvary;
* standing at the foot of the Cross (John 19:25);
* Jesus being taken from the Cross;
* at the burial of Christ.

So many prayers for patience with all that comes with harvest on the farm!!!

Holy Mother of God, hear the prayers of the Church for all mothers,
especially those wearied by life and overcome by suffering they bear for their children. Intercede for them, that the mercy of your divine Son might lighten their burden and give them strength.
especially those wearied by life and overcome by suffering they bear for their children. Intercede for them, that the mercy of your divine Son might lighten their burden and give them strength.


How *beautiful* is the Gospel Acclamation for today's mass??
Our Lady of Sorrows, pray for us!







No comments:
Post a Comment