Tuesday, July 19, 2022

We are family!/Alone with hubby on the farm... Lord, help me! A city girl, now a farm wife for 43 years, 11 months, and 2 weeks!/jury duty?

 

4 generations - dad, Robert Cross, son, Dan Cross, with whom he shared a birthday on March 6th, his son, Sam Cross and his baby son, Joseph Cross.  

Two years ago we were at my brother's home in St Croix Falls, WI for the funeral mass for my mother!  Dad had traveled 4 hours from my home to return to the town where he and mother had lived for close to 10 years.  How I loved to have them closer to me, and would visit often especially those last few years. 

 Starting in August 2019 over my 41st wedding anniversary to October on my birthday we had a "tag team" who took turns staying with my parents 24/7.  I had midweek as I was retired, and so for those 8 weeks I had days each week with my wonderful parents!  Shere heaven for me to be able to pray and share their quiet peaceful life with them!  

A banner made by sister-in-law, Angela for my mother's 90th birthday shortly before we started coming to be with my parents 24/7.  90 was a huge step for my mother, and it happened to be the last year of her life!  I now have the statues in my home as they stayed with dad and he left this world only 7 months after mom here in my home on hospice with a peaceful "natural death."
Everything she touches is a work of art!  
Mom and I having supper at Angela's home 3 years ago for my anniversary without Pat, and dad was also  in the hospital...
3 years ago on my Anniversary which is in 2 weeks on August 3rd!  This was 41 years, so it will be our 44th this year!  I was taking the Eucharist to mom and dad - 1/2 a host for mom, and then the other half for dad in the hospital!  How we love to share our Faith as a family with no reservations!  My parents brought all 13 into The Church 50 years ago!  
Mom waiting for dad to come home to her from the hospital 3 years ago when 4 of us kids started our tag team to be with them 24/7.

Father Tony reminded us today at mass that all those that follow Jesus - his disciples, no matter who are, are our family.  The Gospel today is Jesus telling us this...
And stretching out his hand toward his disciples, he said,
“Here are my mother and my brothers.
For whoever does the will of my heavenly Father
is my brother, and sister, and mother.”  Matthew 12
Dad in his teaching chair in his home in St Croix Falls 3 years ago.  It came to my home with him a year later, and is now here with me.  I love to read his well marked prayer book each day as if he continues to teach me!  Also his man, Brother Victor Antoine, makes me smile with his life as a monk shared with me!  Thanks, Dad!  

I am feeling a bit stressed as the farm family left for a well deserved family vacation this morning leaving me alone with farmer hubby, Patrick.  One thing that has been a part of my being his wife - a city girl, born in Boston, MA, graduated high School in Flint, MI, and finally living in Minneapolis when I met his sister at college... a true city girl till I was 26 and married my farmer!  You would think that after almost 44 years in 2 weeks that I would be a first class farm wife!  Not true! I am still a very anxious city girl when it comes to driving tractors and other farm related equipment.  Sigh!
A family meeting about dad going on hospice.  IT did not happen August 2019, but did happen when I brought him to live with me on the farm April 2020!  Thanks to covid not allowing him to return to his assisted living, he needed to come home with me to the farm.  He had rejected starting to have dialysis, so he was appropriate for hospice.  My JOY was that he went on the same hospice where I had been a nurse for many years!   
A scary time for mom and dad... it brought our family together, and 8 weeks of around the clock care for my parents by 4 of us, also a sister and husband came every week to clean and buy groceries for them!  We were the lucky ones to have that special time with my parents so close to the end of their lives!  A year later mom had passed in a day after a fall on March 16th, and dad died 7 months later on the farm peacefully.
Dad came home!!!  There was talk of a nursing home stay, but we had to see how he would do at home and he did great!!!  This dwells in my heart as such a happy time - sharing prayer and The Church with my beloved parents!  Such peace and JOY and LOVE!!!  
I need to hold this close with confidence that the Lord will help weak city girl me to rise to be a warrior farm wife with confidence and courage!  
Yes, those rosary beads will be my weapon and give me that courage in the face of all that comes my way!
Inner temple filled with prayer!  
Family is my JOY and very close to sharing our Faith!  Faith/Family/Farm!  
FAMILY!
I need you, Lord!
All right I will try not to worry!  By the way, I could be on jury duty for the next 3 days - I am supposed to call in tonight and get the answer.  
Super cool - a cloud tree I borrowed from someone on FB
St Ignatius of Antioch today in Office of Readings - dad underlined deacons, which he was for 44 years in The Catholic Church! 
The verse dad was reading at the Ignatian Exercises at the Cenacle Convent that told him to come into The Church 50 years ago!  It was in morning prayer today and made me smile for JOY!  Yes, it is very Eucharistic indeed!  Bless-bless, Barbara and the 53 - 34 here and 19 in heaven!  
Mom left behind this daily meditations with Pope Benedict XVI - she had read it for 10 years - he is such a smart person and truly LOVES The Catholic Church!  Thanks, mom and Benny!  

 

"Faith is the strength by which a shattered world

shall emerge into the light." - Helen Keller

 

 
"If we love Jesus, we shall always receive from Him
the light and counsel which we need -
His enlightenment is clear and His counsel
satisfies fully the needs of our hearts.
 
How can we have this light and this counsel?
Jesus speaks to our souls in many ways.
 
He speaks to us when we read the pages of the Gospel;
when we recollect ourselves in His presence during meditation;
when we visit Him in the Tabernacle and speak to Him
really and truly present under the Eucharistic species and,
when we ask Him, in all our difficulties, for holy inspiration
which will guide us and direct us towards what is good.
 
God will never deny His light and counsel
to a humble supplicant.
Nobody can speak to our souls
with greater efficacy than Jesus Christ.
'Listen to the interior Master,' wrote St Margaret Mary Alacoque.
'Never do anything without seeking His advice.'"
 
Antonio Cardinal Bacci
__________________



















Danielle Rose



Tauren Wells












No comments:

Post a Comment