We are up at our Gus's home overnight....then a wedding for a niece tomorrow! Nancy just handed me this book..."My Catholic Pediatrician gave me this book..." Stay Home, Stay Happy by Rachel Campos-Duffy "Read here mom, this should go on your blog! She's very right!
"One day in the confessional I lamented my dismal prayer life. Father Henry, a middle aged Francisan with a kindly smile who always reminds me of St Francis himself, listened patiently as I recounted my spiritual inadequacies. Then he told me something profound. He said that my very life as a mother was a prayer. That statement really had a tremendous impact on me. When I began to look at chores as time spent with my kids as prayers, these actions were transformed. The burden seemed lighter, and I felt more spiritually connected to God, my family, and my purpose throughout my day.
Slowly, I began to look at my work as a mom as 'holy.' I also began to notice that the days that started with prayer and meditation ended up better than those that didn't. Now, don't get me wrong, with five kids under the age of ten, there's no guarantee - and certainly no candles or elaborate ritual involved. Occasionally I can manage to get in five or ten minutes of prayer or spiritual reading before the chaos begins, but more often than not it's a simple one-sentence prayer as I descend the stairs to the kitchen to get breakfast going, asking God for the strength and wisdom to be the best mom I can be today. Small? Yes, but it's amazing how transforming it can be!"
"One day in the confessional I lamented my dismal prayer life. Father Henry, a middle aged Francisan with a kindly smile who always reminds me of St Francis himself, listened patiently as I recounted my spiritual inadequacies. Then he told me something profound. He said that my very life as a mother was a prayer. That statement really had a tremendous impact on me. When I began to look at chores as time spent with my kids as prayers, these actions were transformed. The burden seemed lighter, and I felt more spiritually connected to God, my family, and my purpose throughout my day.
Slowly, I began to look at my work as a mom as 'holy.' I also began to notice that the days that started with prayer and meditation ended up better than those that didn't. Now, don't get me wrong, with five kids under the age of ten, there's no guarantee - and certainly no candles or elaborate ritual involved. Occasionally I can manage to get in five or ten minutes of prayer or spiritual reading before the chaos begins, but more often than not it's a simple one-sentence prayer as I descend the stairs to the kitchen to get breakfast going, asking God for the strength and wisdom to be the best mom I can be today. Small? Yes, but it's amazing how transforming it can be!"
I told Nancy that she should put it on her blog, but she says that hers if for pictures... coming from a new mom that yearns to be home with her family... she is in a much better place to share this! I was able to stay at home with my 5 children under 11... it was the most wonderful blessing and yes... prayer! Motherhood is a glorious Life-Love vocation!
Bless-bless, BarbI am using pictures from Maria's blog... when they visited a few weeks ago!
Nancy and Gus enjoy the beautiful weather!
"Accustom yourself continually to make many acts of love, for they enkindle and melt the soul." St Teresa of Avila
Thanks for having us at your home, Gus! You are a wonderful loving and super cute host!
No comments:
Post a Comment