Thursday, October 20, 2011

Missing Hallel - Sweet Susie!

I had copied off this picture of Hallel with little Sister Hosanna, and it was on top of the things in my prayer book this morning.  I have a rare day at home this week... the only one!  I turned on the light, to pray with Pat before he headed off on his busy day.  As I opened my prayer book to this morning's prayers... this picture greeted me, and I felt the tears welling up in my eyes.  I miss my baby girl... Hallel/Susan was the 4th daughter I was blessed with, and she weighed 2 pounds less than the others, for some mysterious reason, at just around 6 pounds!  She was a precious little baby girl, and every milestone she has reached as the last of my daughters... I was blessed with John 3 1/2 years later after 2 losses between them.... was monumental in that it marked the end of an era!  She got her period, she graduated Holy Redeemer, she went to college, she considered religious life in the Discrenment house in St Paul, she came home for one last summer, she told us in front of Our Lady of Guadalupe that she was going to France to join the Community of the Lamb, she became the Bride of Christ- taking her first vows in July!
Her name was a surprise to John and I two years ago, on the vigil of the Queenship of Mary in August...We anticipated that it might be little sister Agnes, as this amazing saint was her patron saint - chosen when she visited her sister in Rome!  So when little sister Marie said in English; "Your name will be little sister Hallel."  We were unsure what we had heard, or what it could mean.

It is the same as Alleluia but with the Halleluia, and we all have seen it writen both ways over our lifetime!  Now whenever I come across it with a "H," I feel that a special gift has been given to me personally!  Hallel told us that there are many psalms that are called "Hallel Psalms."  Those that are filled with the highest praises for God, and those where we envision King David dancing and singing with his hands raised in praise and worship of the God... he loved and knew so personally as choosing him and walking with him!  I just googled Hallel and found quite a bit in the Jewish tradition has to do with Hallel - Praise!

  Hallel's face is one of Praise and Joy!  I was overjoyed this weekend, at the retreat, to feel the freedom to raise my hands and voice in a loud and joyous Halleluia... when the Gospel was presented in the mass!  How I have longed to raise my hands in praise and worship, as they do in the Community in France as the Word of God is processed in!   I feel united with my Hallel, and how she has modeled for me... that Christ is truly alive, and reaching out through His Word!  The Community each day mendicates - chews- his Gospel, and carries it forth with them into their world!  They are Christ knocking on our doors!
How Pat loves each one of his girls, and looks out for them.  He knows that Hallel has found her joy, and does not shed tears with me or worry about her..."She is happy.  She shows us her joy!"  Reading today about the Hallel psalms in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hallel ... I would like to share where you can find them in the Psalms...the 6 psalms 113-118 are called the grand Hallel's in French that  word means tall and Susan is almost 6 foot tall, so the tiny French little sisters think this is quite funny... I just learned that to the Jewish people these are said together on the Full Hallel Holidays!  Psalm 136 is called the Great Hallel psalm and is recited at the Passover meal.  Then the last 5 psalms... 145-150... are also called just the Hallel - Praise Psalms!

We were overjoyed this morning with a Hallel psalm... as part of morning prayer!  One thing that Hallel says about her name choice, which we all feel is a very good explanation of her place in life filled with joy and peace and praise each day as the Word of God is processed forward.  "Everytime anyone says my name, they are giving our loving Lord the highest praise!"  Hallel said.
Psalm 148
Praise the Lord from the heavens,
Praise him in the heights.
Praise him, all his angels,
praise him, all his host.

Praise him, sun and moon,
praise him shining stars.
Praise him, highest heavens
and the waters above the heavens.

Let them praise the name of the Lord.
He commanded: they were made.
He fixed them for ever,
gave a law which shall not pass away.

Praise the Lord from the earth,
sea creatures and all oceans,
fire and hail, snow and mist,
stormy winds that obey his word;

all mountains and hills,
all fruit trees and cedars,
beasts, wild and tame,
reptiles and birds on the wing.

Jesus, we praise you to the highest heavens!  You deserve us to come before you with hands raised to heaven... thanking you for our lives and for all that fills them!  Why do we get so down and filled with worries and woes?  "Be not afraid!"  you tell us over and over in the Bible - 365 times for every day of each year!  Help us to turn that worry and depression around, and to look out at the beauty of the world around us, and the gift of life in all its forms!  May we make a difference in our world, and may it flow out upon the world more removed in waves of LOVE and PRAISE!  Jesus, we trust in you!  Amen and Halleluia

Bless-bless, Barb... little kids with baby kitty... feel the cuddles and fluffy love!
Jesus said to his disciples: "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish that it were already blazing!"  Luke 12:49 The Gospel for today!  Jesus, speaks to us about his Spirit in our lives, and how it burns...
"When the soul of God enamored
Gives her heart and life to Him,
He perfects the patient victim
On the Cross, mid shadows dim...

Blessed is the heart abandoned
To this crucifying pain,
In the arms of the Beloved,
Burned, consumed in love's pure flame..."
St Paul of the Cross (1775), pray for us on this your feast day!

No comments:

Post a Comment