Monday, June 21, 2021

The beam in your eye... humble pie/first Father's Day without dad

Birdie is now a new walker, and grandpa took her over to visit Our Lady of Guadalupe and St Joseph after sharing Father's Day mass together with Ruth and John and their families.

It was an emotional day for me as it was June 20, 2009 that we took John into the ER here in town after complaints of fatigue and double vision to discover that he had brain cancer!  Ruth asked why I would celebrate this anniversary..."It is to celebrate that after 12 years he is still here with us and his story continues."

Family Soul Story - Choose Life!: John's cancer stories

The Lord has a plan for the new John, who found his faith through brain cancer 12 years ago!

Paul and John shared the job of lector for mass.  Such wonderful father's modeling for their children how we put our faith into action and serve The Church that we love without reservations.
Filled the front row of mass... mid November there will be a new baby in their arms.  Open to LIFE and raising LIGHTS!
John reading while his wife and two young children watch his example of putting his Faith into practice.  "Many people thank me for reading.  I know that I am a poor reader, and it humbles me for them to thank me."  I think his reading a bit stumbling at times makes it all the more powerful that John will do this because he loves Jesus in Word and Sacrament and His Bride, The Church, with no reservations!
13 month old Birdie taken by the hand by her farmer grandpa, Pat.  His shoulder is slowly mending and so many prayers for total healing after the hard work of therapy!
Taking his Joy and Birdie over to greet Our Lady - Fr Andy preached that the two pillars of our Faith as Catholics is The Eucharist and Mary, the Mother of heaven and earth.  They are certainly the two huge differences that makes us Catholic.  There is no other place to be other than The Catholic Church if you love Mary and that Jesus comes to us in His Body and Blood each day in The Eucharist!
Always love Our Lady, girls, you can never love her too much.  We can never love her more than Jesus does!
John with his beautiful family with Mary, whom John fell in love with at Lourdes when we miraculously went to France after his second chemo!  And they stand at the foot of the Cross where Mary was given to us as our mother, and we bring her into our homes!
Jesus to us - "Behold your Mother."
We tried and it certainly makes you smile to see the gift of family they have been given very quickly in their 3 years of marriage!
Father St Joseph watching over the farm family!  Ruth with new baby in the womb!  What JOY!
 

How family has grown from 13 to 31 now!
John's cancer brought us all together!  Susan back from France, where she has returned this year after 2 years in KC!
So many prayers for this brain in this head!  They continue as John has concerns of some memory loss and changes due to whole brain radiation, which we had to do for the tumor to stop growing.
Such a powerful holy backdrop for our only son as he fought the battle!

Such powerful memories of this day 12 years ago - led there by the Gospel today!  The beam in our eyes preventing us from removing the splinter in our brothers.  On my way to visit John in Sioux Falls hospital, where we had rushed him after discovering that he had brain cancer from a MRI in Marshall... I stopped to pick the daisies... 

I had guessed that John's double vision was from getting a stick in his eye about 10 years before!  So to read this the following day... so began our time of total trust in Jesus being in control in this crazy time. How could it mean that John has cancer in his brain, Lord?   Calling France on Father's Day - Hallel reminded us - "Mom, this is the storm and Jesus is in control."

The year of St Joseph - 4 year old Joy showing 2 year old Jude - one of the best fathers to look up to on our journey!
Now baby Birdie takes a seat on the kneeler, too.
Our farm family gives us much joy and we are always thankful to have our farm carried on by such devoted hard workers.  Farming is a way of life and much more than a job!  We are called to feed the world!  Send us rain, O Lord!
Joy is to be a big sister!  
Covering the bale mountain - Simon is running across the top in the trees!
Grandma gets a wave.
The crew for a family job on the farm.
tires on both sides to hold it in place and keep the hay dry.
2 years ago Maria was with Hallel in KC!  In a couple weeks The Little Sisters are going to France for 2 months!  I need to get a package there for them to take to Hallel for me.  We were spoiled to have her only 7 hours away.  Now it takes 7 hours in a plane to visit her in France, if we are even able to go yet due to covid.  
The group in Mary's grotto in Kansas City.  I am missing them and my daughter, little Sister Hallel.
Praying with John in the middle of the night -we shared and prayed there in the presence of Jesus for about half an hour!  I am so touched to witness John aknowledging the REAL presence of Jesus!  Later I placed all of Pat and my family in The monstrance with Jesus!  Over 250+!  "Jesus and Mary, I love you.  Save souls."
Such powerful words of St Aloysius today in a letter to his mother as he faces his young death due to the plague, after working with those sick with the plague...  It always makes me pause and read deeply when I see my father's markings and writings in his office!  

From a letter to his mother by Saint Aloysius
(Acta Sanctorum, Iunii 5, 878)

God’s mercies shall be my song for ever


May the comfort and grace of the Holy Spirit be yours for ever, most honored lady. Your letter found me lingering still in this region of the dead, but now I must rouse myself to make my way on to heaven at last and to praise God for ever in the land of the living; indeed I had hoped that before this time my journey there would have been over. If charity, as Saint Paul says, means to weep with those who weep and rejoice with those who are glad, then, dearest mother, you shall rejoice exceedingly that God in his grace and his love for you is showing me the path to true happiness, and assuring me that I shall never lose him.

The divine goodness, most honored lady, is a fathomless and shoreless ocean, and I confess that when I plunge my mind into thought of this it is carried away by the immensity and feels quite lost and bewildered there. In return for my short and feeble labors, God is calling me to eternal rest; his voice from heaven invites me to the infinite bliss I have sought so languidly, and promises me this reward for the tears I have so seldom shed.

Take care above all things, most honored lady, not to insult God’s boundless loving kindness; you would certainly do this if you mourned as dead one living face to face with God, one whose prayers can bring you in your troubles more powerful aid than they ever could on earth. And our parting will not be for long; we shall see each other again in heaven; we shall be united with our Savior; there we shall praise him with heart and soul, sing of his mercies for ever, and enjoy eternal happiness. When he takes away what he once lent us, his purpose is to store our treasure elsewhere more safely and bestow on us those very blessings that we ourselves would most choose to have.

I write all this with the one desire that you and all my family may consider my departure a joy and favor and that you especially may speed with a mother’s blessing my passage across the waters till I reach the shore to which all hopes belong. I write the more willingly because I have no clearer way of expressing the love and respect I owe you as your son.
Joy running around the farmyard...
mix matched boots still do the job.
Showing grandma mommies new blueberry bed.
Corn by the garden is JOY high.  Lord, we need rain so badly!  Hear our prayer.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
Wonderful job by Bobbi and so true of the great fathers in our family!  Open to life and raising LIGHTS!  Much of John's prayer last night was in thanksgiving for his own father, and that he may lead his children in the Faith.  Bless-bless, Barbara
4 generation picture with my brother when we had my mother's funeral mass.  Our first Father's Day without my dad this year...
"I love you and miss you so much dad!  Happy Heavenly Father's Day!"  

"This is the storm, and Jesus is in control."  Hallel

Praise you in the storm - Casting Crowns



















No comments:

Post a Comment