Monday, February 21, 2011

"I do believe, help me unbelief!" Mark 9: 14-29

With both Nancy and Bill at the TEC retreat... I am looking at this picture they used for their Christmas card and praying for them as they are now in the midst of "Go day" after sharing the death and ressurection of our Lord in the two previous days... now they look at how they are changed and will take Him forth with them into the world around them - their lives now more closely in tune with Him through prayer and the sacraments! 
Ruth and Paul are also there this weekend - we have the joy of having their kids for the last 3 days... I am also thinking of them and my prayer is that they are finding a deeper walk with Him personally and in their marriage! 
Watching Uncle Ed blow out the driveway... Snow day here due to the foot of new snow... soon we are to head out for some outside snow pictures with the kids... It will probably not last long... Will I have to sacrifice my camera to save a little one - probably!
A letter that I shared with the people at TEC today on Go day - The people that were strangers two days ago, have now taken on the face of Christ to you! You can see His fingerprint on not only your life, but the lives of each one that you have shared with this weekend. WE are His and taking Him with you as you go forth is not something to cause you to have uncertainty of fear! WE are like David going forth with trust and faith… that God is with you as you face the giant. Jesus promises to never leave you alone, and to calm the storms of life that seem to be overwhelming you!




There is a very special story I want to share with you from this past year called the Grocery store girl… After weeks of trying to diagnose John’s brain cancer… he was surrounded by his 4 sisters and their families and his dad, so I took a mental health day, and went shopping to cook for the family some home cooked food. I was walking around a big Cub Food store in ST Paul, and went to the check out lane… a black lady about my age asked the usual question of how I was… I couldn’t just say the usual “fine”, but instead I blurted out that I wasn’t doing all that great. “Why? You have money for groceries unlike that man, who had to use food stamps.” She pointed to the man, who had checked out just ahead of me. I agreed with her and then I said to her shock; “My 20 year old son has brain cancer, can you please pray for him?” She nodded with a shocked look on her face. At that exact moment a girl in the next lane, said “Are you from Marshall? I think I went to school with some of your girls. And did I hear you say that your son has cancer? Can I pray with you here and now?” Now I was the one set aback and I hesitantly agreed. Right then and there she prayed for John and for his family to have strength and healing….I looked up to see the check out lady and the man packing his groceries with their heads bowed with us – united in prayer!



I was forever changed by her, and no longer do I say that I will pray for someone… I do it then and there…whether email of phone call or here in this letter to you all! Jesus, thank you for your love for each and every one of us, and for wanting us to be yours in all that we do in this world! That is how we find true happiness, and the ability to slay the giants that are trying to attack us and force us away from you! We take to heart your command 365 times in the Bible to- “Be not afraid.” One for every day of our lives! Jesus, we trust in you! Amen and Bless-bless, Barb Verly

Well, I do not get tired of sharing my "grocery store girl story" - both TEC and her intevention and bravery in prayer have changed me... every breath that I take and every beat of my heart is a prayer.... "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus..."  We are heading out to the snow - a lot of work getting 5 kids and myself dressed from head to toe... a lot of work for a quick return to the house and all the wet clothes.  At least they will not be mud and manure like the other day that it was so spring like, but the warm sun was very nice for a few days.  Bless-bless, Barb 
Wedding picture day, I guess.
"Why could we not drive out the spirit?"  He said to them, "This kind can only come out through prayer."  Mark 9:14-29  The Gospel for today about driving the "mute spirit" out of the boy...

No comments:

Post a Comment