Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Most Cherished Cross...

Waking this morning with thoughts of a good friend and his broken marriage that is so devastating to those close to them... And remembering the many ways that I am thankful for my wonderful husband, Patrick.  Marriage is not an easy thing, but persevering is a wonderful thing for the family, and for the couple to grow together in their faith is what makes it work.  Patrick and I realized that we shared the same values in life - faith in the Catholic Church, openness to family, and life on the farm...on our first date.  With the attraction that was there too... go for it!  Six months dating, six months engagement and marriage... we had found someone to share all with... as we lined up on all the things that matter in this life! 
Pat has always loved the little ones that we were blessed with, and even with 6 devastating losses along with the 5 children we were blessed with - he never told me that we had to quit!  We have had all the children that we were meant to have, and there is a lot of peace knowing that we will all be united in heaven some day,and that I have a personal spiritual army praying for me in heaven.  I really need it! 
Little 2 1/2 year old David Lanoue loves his grandpa and tries to "help" him in everything that he does.  Out in the barn - he wanted to help grandpa get this wet little baby calf to nurse on it's mother.  The calf is only a few hours old and is not really smart yet, but little Dave is trying very hard to help!  How grandpa loves to have the little ones outside with him sharing all that there is to learn and watch!
I have shared in the past a most amazing letter from Hallel, our daughter in religious life, to her sister Nancy at the time of her engagement to Bill last year..."when I got the news I wasn't really shocked but that night as it sunk in during adoration and the next day during mass I was so happy. My heart overflowed with joy for you. How beautiful to know that you have found your... most cherished cross. While I have never had the experience of being married, from what I hear is that he will truly be your cross. But not your cross as human eyes look at it, as a thing to run away from, as a thing of torture but rather as that which is truly the tree of life. It is only when clinging to the cross that one can truly live, it is the source of all life and of all love. Your marriage to Bill will be this, not something to run away from when it gets hard and when it hurts, but something to hold tight to, especially when it hurts because it is in this that you will find life and love. Know that it is through your marriage that Jesus wants to show you his great love for you and also that the best example that you can give to the world of Christ's love is a marriage lived in truth. So, in other words, know that I am so happy for you and that I love you a whole lot. Know that you are in my prayers during this crazy time of wedding planning; that you may not go crazy but rather learn to love each other better and that you may both have great joy and great peace. Remember to pray for me too! God Bless, Your little Sister Hallel


"Grandpa this is hard work!"  So thinking about this hard but powerful life that those that are called to marriage are called to... many prayers are needed with our spouses and also with our children in the home that we all make together - Our Domestic Church!
Now the other 2 1/2 year old, Therese, tries to help direct the dog and the calf... it is a funny sight and warms the cockles of a grandparent's hearts!  Pat and I have found a prayer for morning and night that we love to share together in the Magnificat... see http://www.magnificat.com/
Grandpa pulls the "warming box" into the barn to put the new wet calf in and warm it up on a cold snowy day... all the kids gather around for a new lesson on the farm.  I don't think that any of them truly realize at this young age how lucky they are to have this life experience called "the Farm."  Their parents - our kids- now love and appreciate their lives growing up on the farm... with a father farmer that loved to share with them all the interesting and true to life experiences that the farm can offer on a day to day basis!  Some of them... living close by...now seem to be able to have that same wonderful life with their own families! 
Once again little Dave is doing all that grandpa does... How it warms his grandpa to have this "little buddy" so looking up to him and appreciating the life of the farm!  I return to the house filled with love for my wonderful husband and all that he accomplishes in caring for his animals and most of all the wonderful family and value of LIFE that he has shared with me for these last 32 1/2 years of marriage!  How I love my "Most Cherished Cross" for his wonderful strength, and willingness to see the truth and to follow it no matter what! 
"Stay warm little calf, and get dry, and strong to face this cold snowy world at your mother's side!"  The thoughts of Pat as he cares for this new little life - much like he has always loved and enjoyed and nurtured his small ones - whether babies or grandbabies or animal babies!  How Patrick Gerard Verly loves them all! 
"Let just enough air out to let out the moisture."  grandpa teaches them...They can feel the warm air blowing out the holes on their little faces... they have experienced something new - putting a new wet calf in the "warming box."  Life is full of things to learn and grow from at this young age, but I find too that there are many things that I continue to learn on the farm from my ever wise and wonderful farmer husband - my most cherished cross!
Gather around children and learn from a man that loves you and loves his faith and loves his life on the farm... If you carry those things into your life - you will be richly blessed with a wonderful approach to family and answering His call in your life... no matter what it may be! 
The two year olds are talking to each other on the phone this morning... Jesus, how I love you and thank you from the bottom of my heart for the wonderful life I have been given with my most cherished cross!   His love and respect for all life has filled with such fullfilment and joy!  Thank you for all that has come to us in all these years together, and for the deeper walk that we are now blessed with by our children and their walk with you!  So many blessings.  Continue to give us the strength to love and to serve you within our domestic Church - our family!  Jesus, we trust in you!  Amen and Halleluia!

Bless-bless, Barb
“The Lord has been showing me that we all are different.  We each have our weaknesses.  Jesus comes to save us when we are weak.  If we are strong…. There is no need or ability for Him to come to us.  Embrace your weaknesses, because that is where the Lord comes to us.”  Dec 12,2008… Called France to tell little Sister Hallel that grandma Verly had fallen and broken her hip one week after I had my hip replaced
“It has been a great blessing to have this time at home, and to be a farmgirl again.  I love spending time with you but I am also excited to see what the next part of my life will hold and how both you and I will be blessed in it.  Don’t worry mom the Lord will always take care of us, and know that if it didn’t hurt than we didn’t love.”  Letter written the end of the summer 2008 from little Sister Hallel as she went off to join the Community of the Lamb

No comments:

Post a Comment