Thursday, July 2, 2015

Asked to sacrifice our all!!!

We have a fun tradition here at our wonderful cabin in Michigan - ice cream!!!!  We get huge boxes of cones for the kids and many yummy flavors from superman to Mackinaw fudge ice cream - new this year!, and chocolate cherry.  It is a wonderful way to motivate the kids to eat their plates clean and then they get a rousing round of "Clean Plate Club" with a new version of Meows at the end.  The rule for the cones is out on the deck with them! 

I have been busy with life up here.  I was feeling down about some of the sharing between Pat and I, and was hugely relieved to hear him say that "it's not about you at all, Barbie."  He was going through some feelings and they affected how he was around me mostly.  I struggled with dying to self so that we could discuss and share some time together.  Things could have gone negatively and I could have really just spiraled down with letting my hurts and feelings drive a bigger wedge between us.  Looking back at swallowing my selfish tendencies and going in a better more loving direction really made a difference for me.
The two one year old boys sure do love spending times with their wonderful grandpa, Pat!  How I love to see Pat with the grandkids - just as he is a wonderful father and always open to LIFE - he never said stop even with the many losses we had. 

It really spoke to me today to see that the first reading from Genesis is about Abraham being asked to sacrifice his only son - born to him when he was 100 years old!  In my struggles yesterday I was really struggling with being called upon to sacrifice my all to make our marriage better and get it back on track!  In making that happen I see that a lot of healing and I was gifted back with a calming of the storm and defeat I was feeling. 
 Pat and I at the Lighthouse today with the 8 grandkids we have here with us - missing Maria, Joe and their 4 in the !  Maria just called so sweet today with a fond memory of some special times we shared in the past.  That speaks so powerfully to me of her missing being here with us these weeks.  Maybe next year! 
Dominic sure loves being on grandpa's lap on the lighthouse steps or anywhere for that matter.

Every bone in my body hurt and screamed to turn my back on Pat yesterday, but I swallowed my pride and humbly did what he wanted to spend time with him, and the next thing I knew we were doing some of the things and going some of the places I wanted to go...
 We found the new grotto for Our Lady across from the church... I knelt in front of Our Lady and prayed for my hurts and she answered me!
 We found the paving stone of my parents  on the walkway.
 A special moment shared... now Pat is staying for a few more days as Paul and John return to Marshall together.  We are happy to have Pat for more relaxing time with his family.  So good for all of us!
 Down to check on beautiful beach together. 
Wild roses in the sugar sand at Beautiful beach.
 
I was also thrilled to see the Gospel is the version from Matthew 9 of the paralytic.  It was so powerful in John's healing from brain cancer - 6 years ago now.  How he was lowered into the presence of the Lord for healing!  How he found Faith through brain cancer, and yes... there is always that reminder of his cancer and how it has changed him and made his life different - he is carrying "his mat" as he walks along with the ataxia he has been left with and the new problems with his memory and his compassionate heart that doesn't really fit with the thinking of the world.  He is the new John and is trying to find his path!


Pat staining the deck and railing!
 Dad's with the one year old boys...
 Ruth with her mini-me, Rose
 The two girls with their moms - Rose is 3 and Bernadette will be 3 in 4 months - they enjoy each other a lot for the most part!
 Pat and John with the Luke and Dominic
Grandpa is a baby magnet, and he is happy about it!
Therese at swimming lessons - we miss you!
John took the official family so he is missing and the back of the head from Bernadette... that's life isn't it?

Jesus, it is hard to be down and to not be defensive and angry and hurt and lash out with anger and pain... to die to self and give without counting the cost.  Lord, with Our Lady at your side to intercede and show me the path to take - narrow and carrying/dragging our Most Cherished Cross.  May we learn from the example of Abraham asking to trust and sacrifice his only son!  And from the paralytic, who was lowered into the presence of Jesus by his friends.  May we do that in prayer each day.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
Dominic loves the sugar sand - what's not to love?  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
 Paul it was wonderful family time - we will miss you! 
John we miss you already! 

No comments:

Post a Comment