Friday, August 4, 2017

"Dad is all about doing things." John/one of the many St Johns today!

John and I just had a heart to heart as we shared lunch and finishing up the sweet corn freezing for today.  He reminded me that his dad/my husband and most Cherished Cross loves to be doing things..."Dad is about doing things, and it would be wonderful if you could do them with him.  It would be really good for your marriage,too."  Yes, John, you are right!


We headed out with 12 pails and came home with about 3 1/2 instead as it was not all ready yet.  So instead of a big job over at Ruth's today, I brought them home to my place and did it here.   Pat and Rose kindly followed me home and were my attractive helpers today!
Rose my lovely assistant is taller this year, and didn't feel she needed the booster to stand on.  Such a cheerful, willing and hard worker she is!


John also left this morning with the sendoff of knowing that it was an amazing St John today..."Oh, there are just a few of those St Johns... more like 50 or more!"  Today is St John Vianney, and John got nicely acquainted with him while in seminary a few years back.  "He was the one, who struggled in seminary and finally was ordained" only to humbly serve hundreds coming to him weekly for confession - "reconciling sinners to God!"
The creamer board which Pat has used on sweet corn day over the last 39 years of our marriage, and he was saying today that he remembers his mom using it before him.  Ruth likes to cut hers off, so Rose sat next to Pat and cut off some, too!


I am feeling very convicted today after John was so real with me about how I need to get myself in better shape to keep up with my active husband.  I half-way joke about being put out to pasture, but that is not what my husband wants from me, so....  I need to get into the doctor and do something about my knee and foot - one on each leg, so talk about hobbled!  Also I need to lose quite a bit of weight that I have been just ignoring.... my thought in the back of my mind is; "I will have all that to live off of when I get cancer."  Bad!  I know.  John is right about Pat's love of doing, and I need to be a better wife and share those times with him.  I am a contemplative at heart, so it will be a stretch, but I know that I will grow from sharing experiences with him.
Sweet corn with the grandkids on our porch last night with our cute red barn as a backdrop on our 39th anniversary filled with LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT!
Princess discovered the best doggy bone ever... a cob of sweet corn to chew on!


So much great stuff today that comes with the feastday of this wonderful humble Saint John Vianney!  I love this response he made to the Gospel today where those from Jesus home town question him - "because of their lack of faith, he did not work many mighty deeds there."  Matthew 13
A good Christian is not satisfied simply to believe in the truths of our holy religion.  He loves them, he ponders over them, he tries in every possible way to acquire a knowledge of them; he loves to hear the Word of God, and the more he hears it, the more he longs for it.  He believes not only that God sees him in all his actions, and judges them all at the hour of death, but he trembles at the thought that he will render an account of his whole life to God.  He not only thinks of this, and trembles over it, but he strives earnestly to improve himself daily.  He never ceases in his endeavors to find new ways in which to do penance...The hope of a good Christian is firm, his trust in God is unshaken.  He never loses sight of the next life.  The remembrance of the sufferings of Jesus Christ is ever present to his mind, is always in his heart...He longs for God alone, and desires him only.  St John Vianney
Thanks Pat and Rose and later John for giving me a hand today!  We had a small job done in a few hours and so far only 35 quarts of corn - last year we did 200 in one day, so this was a different day for sure.  We will maybe do more later after the fair? 


Lord, I do long to "strive earnestly to improve myself daily!"  That really reminds me that I cannot become lax with myself and improve myself on many levels.  May I go forward armed with Jesus in The Word and Sacrament, Mary the Mother of God, All the Saints each day, my guardian angel, the rosary and prayer filling me day... how can I not take two steps forward and only one step back... inching/staggering/dragging my most Cherished Cross and following after Jesus!  I am given so very much by your Bride, the Church!  I am weak and need you my Jesus!  May I always be weak and turn to you.  Jesus, I trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
 Rose and Luke were helpers picking this morning along with grandpa... yes, grandpa is a doer of things, but he always wants to include the little ones!  I need to improve in this way too. Pat does expect me to be more social and more doing of things with him!  It would help our marriage if I would get more healthy!  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
Please can I have that when you are done, Rose?  Love this cool weather!  Perfect day today!
If Rose hadn't come over... who would have been so cute with all the wonderful yellow corn?  Grandma's kitchen isn't near as pretty as last year in Ruth's new canning kitchen!
That sun streaming in the window of the command station - there is a roof over the porch now that does cut down on some of the brightness though.  The corn just looked more bright yellow in the new farm sink in the sun last year.  We might still do some there, too! 
Image may contain: 1 person, text


Image may contain: sky, cloud, plant, nature and outdoor
"Ponder the fact that God has made you a gardener, to root out vice and plant virtue."
-St. Catherine of Siena
Image may contain: one or more people and text

 And to dwell in the abundant warmth of his love.
Image may contain: 1 person, text

No comments:

Post a Comment