Dominic in a wagon full of boys about 3 months ago when Hallel was home for her first home visit in 4 years! She had met her nephew while here for Easter 2 years before in KC, and I know she is celebrating big today as it is the Feast day of St Dominic and she is in a Dominican order! Also that makes it Dominic's feast day, too! Happy Feast day Dominic!
When Nancy arrived in France for Susan taking her habit and changing her name in 2009.. she arrived to find The Community praying in different postures of prayer in the Green Cathedral. It made a big impression on her and now she has her own Dominic! I was reading the meditation for today by a Dominican priest - Father Kaudelka (2003) The title - Did him homage - from the amazing Gospel today! Peter walks on water to Jesus and they did him homage and brought their sick for him to heal if only they would touch the tassel of his cloak
In the second posture of prayer, St Dominic lies stretched out on the earth, because he is formed out of earth and belongs to the earth...He knows that he is dust, yet loved by God, so that dust would be able to praise God. He abandons himself to God, demanding nothing of him.
More from Fr Koudelka...
I lie stretched on the floor and try to wish for nothing, to ask for nothing. I contemplate my helplessness and my vulnerability; but also the infinite and silent now of God, to whom I make myself over. I try- in the spirit of the old liturgical clamor( the loud crying out) - to place before my eyes the concrete distress of the Church, the world, the abused environment of my fellow man, and my neediness as well, and to shout this need out loud. I bring all things - my fellow man, events, and myself - into relationship with God in boundless trust, without wishing my own solutions... only when I concretely commit myself to the needs of my environment and the world around me will I become like Dominic - one of God's co-workers.
Reading this today and realizing how it impressed Nancy to see them doing the "postures" really brings a lot of beauty to why they named their son, Dominic Patrick.
Hallel with our 8 grandsons... we now have 7 granddaughters, too, with the girls each having a girl within 11 months of each other!
Knowing Hallel and her order of Dominican Little Brothers and Little Sisters... This description of the need St Dominic saw in the need for solid preachers of the Gospel who would be fortified by study ( Hallel has shared with my mother that they have gone to her website/Bible study and learned from them, and Hallel has encouraged me to read some encyclical written by the Popes.... always studying and growing in their knowledge of The Faith!), strengthened by prayer ( they are contemplatives and pray throughout the day including mass and adoration!), and confirmed in poverty ( they beg for their food as St Dominic did!). He lived in 1100s and this continues on today!
Jesus, How I love each day in your Church! St Dominic pray for us. Bless-bless, Barb
No comments:
Post a Comment