Thursday, November 16, 2017

The final day of harvest/live life as if it could end at anytime/the sandwich brigade


Love this so much!  In the words of Maria;
"Joe and I have often tried to seek out ways in which to help the local poor
that are both practical and something that the kiddos could partake in.
Providentially, I heard that there was a Catholic food kitchen in Tacoma.
I gave them a call, told them our desire, and they filled it!
Now every second Tuesday we are on the "Sandwich Brigade".
We make a whole load of sandwiches, drop them off, and they hand them out 
the next day on the streets of Tacoma to those who are hungry.
It is perfect for us.
The kids get to REALLY participate in a Corporal Act of Mercy.
We love it!"
Evangeline falling asleep on the way to the park with her 4 older sibs all around...

Maria mentioned to me that I was missing some good posts on her blog, and to my delight I found a lot of wonderful pictures and stories to catch me up on their lives in Tacoma on base.  I will be using them today as I shared as my girls know that pictures are so important to me, and when they live far away it is how we can share in their lives!
This baby girl is now one and walking!  She is also starting to be potty trained... yes, Maria starts when they are one!  So she shared that these warm stockings are perfect for the frequent times she sits on her little potty and big sister, Therese reads to her...


Grandpa Pat was giggling when he saw her in these, and shakes his head at her mommy starting to potty train her already.  But we are not surprised any more.  He sure misses his baby girl, after she lived with us for over 5 months last winter!  She is so much like our girls!

Me and the girls about 30 years ago!

Shorts and winter hats and jackets... they are adjusting to the season change, too! 


It is cold here today, and the sun been under the clouds for days!  But we are rejoicing as harvest is at an end.  They are taking out the last of the corn today!  Pat did a bit of a jig this morning and that dimple he tries so hard to deny was there in his grin to celebrate the end of harvest!  "Some years it is kind of sad to be done, but this year I am more than ready!" reported my dear Most Cherished Cross/farmer/husband.

shorts and snow flakes!

The sandwich brigade... it is ironic because Maria does not have bread in her home.  So originally when she bought what she needed for 100 sandwiches she bought 100 of meat, cheese and bread.. "That's right I forgot that you need two slices of bread per sandwich."  Quite a sight! 


This is such a wonder to me!  There have been seeds of this works of mercy and heart for the poor in this family always!  When Therese was just 3 years old, she wanted to help the poor.  She would color pictures, put a few dollars inside and keep them with her in her car seat.  When they saw a poor beggar... Maria would pull up, put the window down and Therese would hand out one of her special packets and say to them; "Bless you."  in her sweet little girl voice!  So powerful!

Learning to give/corporal works of mercy...
Image result for corporal works of mercy images
It was the feast of St Martin of Tours a few days ago... he divided his cloak in two and gave it to a naked man... He was Jesus!


Today is the feast of St Margaret of Scotland - a queen and the mother of 9 who cared for he poor.  She is the patron of large families! 

This month sandwich brigade!  Such a beautiful sight as they work together to give to others!
"The time had come again for us to bring our
load of sandwiches to the Sandwich Brigade.
Last month we attempted to make 100 sandwiches.
I got 100 pieces of cheese, tons of pickle slices, 
100 pieces of ham, and 100 pieces of bread.
Yup... I forgot that sandwiches take two slices. 
Sorry. I don't make sandwiches that often.
This month, however, I did the math correctly!

As I've said previously, we LOVE the Sandwich Brigade!
I hope that we can always find a similar service 
wherever we find our family in the future.

Love, Us./Maria"
Our youngest member of the family, Joy Jean,  is now 7 1/2 months old!  She came with her family for supper last night as Ruth and Paul teach FF and I have the kids!  I got out the booster seat and she was so happy and cute sitting up to the table with everyone!  Feeding herself bread and eating like a trooper from grandma.  Such a delight!
Mom and dad eating quick before they left to teach youth about Jesus... the other 3 moved into the dining room to eat their supper.  It was so fun to have my kitchen and house filled with family, food and fun!  The kids  love to come over to spend some time in their old home.  Joy sure is growing up and is the sweetest little girl!
She surprised me!  I had her sitting on the floor playing with toys and then she had creeped into the bathroom to watch the 3 in the hot tub!  They love to bring their suits and play in there and Joy found them interesting to observe.  But when grandma tried to let her play in there with David holding her... she was scared of the bubbles and cried...  not yet, I guess.


Such a lucky girl to have a large family of loving siblings to always have in her life!  St Margaret pray for them!  May the JOY they share and show the world open the eyes of many to the gift that family is and being open to life and raising LIGHTS!
http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/my-most-cherished-cross-patrick-gerard.html


Once again I am overwhelmed by all the readings today and know not where to start!  The description of Wisdom/she is... today amazed me!  I kept slipping between Mary and The Holy Spirit as it flowed all in and around me!
"In Wisdom is a spirit
intelligent, holy, unique,
Manifold, subtle, agile,
clear, unstained, certain,...
For Wisdom is mobile beyond all motion,
and she penetrates and pervades all things by reason of her purity...
For she is the refulgence of eternal light,
the spotless mirror of the power of God,
the image of his goodness."
Take the time to read the entire reading!!!  It is amazing and such a picture of our Blessed Mother's work in our salvation with her "yes" and bringing God into the world through her womb!  "For she is an aura of the might of God
and a pure effusion of the glory of the Almighty;
therefore nought that is sullied enters into her.
For she is the refulgence of eternal light,
the spotless mirror of the power of God,"
The Holy Spirit too!!!
Good old fashioned pasta feed for my farm family... our corn and spaghetti sauce, applesauce and desert made with our homemade apple pie filling!  LOVE!  The young farm family are wonderful eaters and that is worth it all!!!  As it turned out it was an unplanned celebration of the end of harvest!


I have been off helping hubby for a while, so I need to wrap this up!  I was lifted up over the Gospel today and this reflection by a young mother of 9!  She shared the Truth of The Church when it comes to the end times!


Jesus warns us not to follow after those that want to lead us here or there.. rather to look to Jesus and His Bride, The Church, and each day be prepared for we know not when nor are we supposed to try to figure it out!


"What Catholics don’t believe is that God has left us a series of clues to unravel and signs to recognize, so we’ll know exactly when the end of the End will come. We don’t believe that there are hidden prophecies in the Bible that will enable some to know when Jesus will come again. Instead, we believe in what the Bible flat out says. In Matthew 24:36, Jesus tells us that no one knows. The Angels don’t know. HE doesn’t know. Only the Father knows. And some doomsday guys who like to rent out billboards. "  Kendra Tierney
She continues...
"The world might end tomorrow so I better get to Confession, forgive that person who said mean stuff about me, and kiss my kids goodnight. But it most likely won’t end tomorrow. I brush my teeth, and pay my bills, and teach my kids long division. And I remember that, for us, the end of the world is nothing to fear. The end of this world will just be the beginning of eternity. And until it comes, we’ll keep ourselves busy here, doing His work, each in our own way."




I just marveled at this sharing and live this way!  I want to be ready at all times, yet live my life with all that I have to give with anticipation and not fear and hope and not constant reflection on what could be coming!  All that trying to figure it all out is a waste of good time to be spent sharing The LIGHT from Jesus in his Word and doing coporal works of mercy and spiritual works of mercy!
Image result for spiritual works of mercy images
Our time should be spent doing these and at prayer!  I need to do better and I should use my time and talents in these ways.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Bless-bless, Barbara Mary Luke
"Grandma it is so fun to sit up with my brother and sister like a big girl and feed myself!  I am a gift form God and he has made me beautiful inside and out!  I want to love and serve him always and without ceasing!"  Joy Jean Lanoue
Image may contain: 1 person, text
Another cool saint for today!

And another, who loved the Sacred Heart!

Thinking of our two mothers and their large families - mom Verly had 10 children and my mom had 11!  They were both queens also!  So blessed!  Anna Verly was a widow for 20 years, too!
Image may contain: text


Image may contain: one or more people and text


Glorious Day - Casting Crowns
Ryan Stevenson - the Gospel




No comments:

Post a Comment