Saturday, June 14, 2014

Father's day eve lasagna for welcome Dominic party

Nancy requested that I make some lasagna for her to have so I found myself on this rainy Saturday at Cub foods with Bill and the two oldest.  Bernadette was in my cart and wanted to hold the small items and the french bread.  Making lasagna for my family and shopping at Cub foods takes me back to the powerful experience I had during John's brain cancer in St Paul Cub foods - The Grocery store girl!
Here is the story from my page devote to John's cancer stories - http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/johns-cancer-stories.html
As the family was all around John  - I took a day away to make FOOD!  I just needed a down day to make some homecooked food for the family, and get some mental health time.  I ended up at a big Cub Food store that was nearby.  As I slowly walked the aisles picking out what I needed... I got in line of a black checkout woman about my age.  She asked me the usual - "How are you doing?"  I just couldn't say the usual "fine."  I said - "Not that good."  "You at least have money for food." she says, "unlike that guy ahead of you."  she points to a black man bagging his own groceries that has just paid with food stamps.  "That's true," I say, "but my 20 year old son has brain cancer!  Could you please pray for him?"  She looks shocked at me and slightly nods her head.  At that exact moment a young girl in the next lane says - "Are you from Marshall?  I think I went to school with some of your girls.  Did you say that your son has brain cancer?  Can I pray for you right here and now?"   I was shocked and nodded my head in astonishment by it all.  She bowed her head, and said a simple short prayer asking for John to be healed and protected as well as his family.  I looked up to see the checkout lady and the man bagging his groceries also bowing their heads in prayer - united in prayer!  That changed me!  I now pray always in posts, blog shadings, in the street, on the phone.  Most amazing of all is that John now prays always and for everything... it seems that we are always stopping throughout the day to pray for one issue or another.  Not to mention sharing morning office together.
A special meal shared tonight to celebrate the arrival of our newest family member, Dominic.  It also is the vigil of Father's Day tomorrow and with that comes the 5 year point of our first discovering that John had brain cancer!  
All set for our lasagna feast of celebration - so wonderful to now 5 years later to have John healed and looking for what the future holds for him - NET of job in agriculture. Lord, we look to YOU to open the door ahead of him.  WE sang our "Bless the Lord O my soul" song that we sing with our Community of the Lamb... This was one night of celebration!  
The pouring of the wine for a special meal - all the plates were cleaned and two little ones were "clean plate clubbers!"  
Thank you, Lord, for John's healing... continue to heal and protect his brain and show him your path ahead!
And thank you for our beautiful little Dominic and how he has made our love bigger not stretched it more thin!  Jesus, we trust in YOU. Bless-bless, Barb

No comments:

Post a Comment