John showing us around the seminary the day after his 24th birthday. Then a week later Lent began with Ash Wednesday. Lent was a very big time in our family as the kids got older. We would call our TV provider and have them turn off our TV literally! If we would turn it on there would just be static and snow on the screen. There was excitement in the house as we would get out the board games, dust them off, and put them out on the coffee table for the games to begin!! So when John called a few days ago and asked me to play a game of scrabble with him on facebook - I agreed with great JOY! It is just so appropriate that we are doing this in honor of those fond memories... of closer more real family time during Lents of the past. It was just such a lesson to us about how much we miss on sharing and laughing together with the TV interfering. It is a bit strange that John and I are still on facebook during Lent, as many give this up to spend more time in study and prayer. But it is allowing us to share this fun game although we are 3 hours apart! And I share my blog postings on facebook too!
The view of the skyline of Minneapolis from the campus of the seminary in the sunlight. Today a light fluffy snow is covering the earth - making for a beautiful world out there!
Today is a huge feastday in our Church - the Chair of St Peter, or commemorating the teaching authority of the Vicar of Christ - the Pope! Such a important time to be recalling this feastday, and the carrying on of the headship of the Church... as it is passed by the Holy Spirit from one Pope to another. This is right at the passing of one to the other, as Benedict has discerned that he needs to step down for the good of the Church, as he is no longer up to the rigors of the job. Look at it this way - "Perhaps it would be a good thing if every Christian, certainly if every priest, could dream once in his life that he were pope, and wake from that nightmare in a sweat of agony." (Ronald Knox)
How heavy the load of carrying our Church on your shoulders... and as frail as Benedict is looking these days, I feel that it was a step in humble acknowledgement that he is stepping aside for a new and stronger man. I feel that none could be a stronger advocate of the Truth, and fighter for all this is LIFE, LOVE and LIGHT than our beloved Pope Benedict XVI... I pray only that the new Pope will be as much of a LIGHT in the darkness as Papa Benny has been!
Lord, the length, height, and depth of our Church fills our entire Lives with YOU! We are filled with such awe and wonder at the Truth that has set us free! We are aware of all those things that pull at us, and tear us down, and turn us away from your call for us to leave self behind, and to follow after YOU. WE are so encouraged, and given such powerful and truthful direction by the Pope and the magesterium of The Catholic Church! WE are asked to Trust in their guidance - knowing that they are there to help us get to Heaven forever with YOU, and your Bride, the Church. Each day we pray for our families that we "may all be together in heaven someday." You have blessed Pat and I with huge wonderful families, and we pray for them without ceasing. They are given to us through birth, and we yearn to find them all in Heaven with arms outstretched to us. You know,O Lord, all of the needs - known only to YOU alone - Jesus, we love you and serve you within our domestic Church/family. Jesus, we trust in you. Amen and Halleluia
The Church - "For I see through her eyes, the Eyes of God to shine, and through her lips I hear his words. In each of her hands as she raises them to bless, I see the wounds that dripped on Calvary, and her feet upon her altar stairs ar signed with the same marks as those which the Magdalene kissed. As she comforts me in the confessional I hear the voice that bade the sinner go and sin no more; and as she rebukes or pierces me with blame I shrink aside trembling with those who went out one by one, beginning with the eldest, til Jesus and the penitent were left alone. As she cried her invitation through the world I hear the ringing claim as that which called, 'Come unto me and find rest for your souls.' "
Monsignor Robert Benson (1914) was a British convert to Catholicism
Playful John - I am going to beat you so bad at scrabble!!! It is my most favorite game ever, and I am actually competitive at it. Such a gift to have this ongoing game throughout Lent. Thank you for this great gift of those great years when our domestic Church gathered to make Lent a time set apart for Jesus and His Bride, The Church! Just shows that although we are apart by miles - yet we still share what really matters - OUR FAITH!
Got you, John!!! You ruined my pictures with your funny face, so I guess that you wanted me to use them on here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdqieQx3Rc Danielle Rose - the Litany of Humility
It kind of fits, right?
Just like your dad... I have to take the pictures from behind? I guess like father - like son.
No comments:
Post a Comment