Friday, November 15, 2013

"Quiet of the senses..." St Albert the Great

No, it's not Christmas time yet, but I had such fun at the Thrift store yesterday and then played dolly dress up with little one year old Bernadette.  So... that is why. 
Today is the feast of St Albert the Great - he was of the same order of our Hallel - Dominican and was a great writer and preacher.  The Dominicans are the order of preachers and St Dominic led them into some radical poverty as they begged for their food!  Little Sister Marie back in the time of Vatican 2 times looked into the roots of her Dominican order and discovered this, and felt that the Lord was telling her to beg for her food as her founder did.  She felt that He was asking her to beg from the poor!  How can this be?  She asked herself, and begged the Lord to show her.  He led her to I Kings 17:7-16 The story of Elijah and the widow of Zerapath!  The story is taking place during a huge drought, and Elijah tells the widow to make him some bread - she tells him that she only has enough oil, flour and water to make one loaf for she and her son and then they will die. 13 Elijah said to her, “Don’t be afraid. Go home and do as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread for me from what you have and bring it to me, and then make something for yourself and your son. 14 For this is what the Lord, the God of Israel, says: ‘The jar of flour will not be used up and the jug of oil will not run dry until the day the Lord sends rain on the land.’”  And this is what happened to her!  So powerful that this Truth should come to LIGHT for little Sister Marie, who was, armed with this, encouraged to break off and start a new branch of the Dominicans - The Community of the Lamb!  They have found this to be true of the poor when they give from what little they have - they are richly blessed in their lives!
Pushing the seasons but too cute that I found this classic outfit that is her perfect size, and the teddys just begged me to bring them home too!  I guess that grandmas do play with dollies too!
Today in the Gospel - Jesus speaks to us about the end times and being ready and not looking back!  I know of some that dwell in this place of anticipation of the end times constantly... I guess I feel that we need to always be doing our best and ready, but that LIFE must be lived!  The main message of Jesus to us this day is... "whoever loses his life will save it."  Here is St Albert the Great addressing this - "Do you want to journey by the shortest road, the straight safe way to eternal bliss, unto your true country, to grace and glory?  Strive with all your might to obtain habitual cleanness of heart, purity of mind, quiet of the senses.  Gather up your affections and with your whole heart cling to God...
Seek out with jealous care the place, time, and means most suited to quiet and contemplation, and lovingly embrace silence and solitude.
Beware of dangers of which the times are full; avoid the agitation of the world never to rest, never still.
Let your chief study be to gain purity, freedom, and peace of heart.  Close the doors of your senses and dwell within, shutting your heart as diligently as you can against the shapes of earthly things ...
Fix your gaze unwaveringly upon God and divine things; spurn the follies of earth and seek to be wholly transformed in Jesus Christ, yea, even to the heart's core."  St Albert the Great
Prayer Life
   "The core of our Community life is the Eucharist, announced and prolonged in liturgical prayer and silent adoration. This is how we begin and end each day.
     With the Blessed Virgin Mary, we strive to keep the Word of the Lord in our hearts at all times. This Word animates our lives. It is our soul.
     We dedicate much time to personal prayer and study. We regularly withdraw into the “desert of solitude” in order to listen, along with the Blessed Virgin Mary, to the Lord speaking to our hearts. Singing is an important part of our worship. The songs we sing in harmony are truly prayers.
     Children in our neighborhood come to listen to our singing ... but they also enjoy staying during silent adoration. One of these children told his principal, “They are nuns; they sing for God!”"
I just went to the site for the Kansas City Community of the Lamb, and thought this was great to share!  That part of contemplation in their life brings great JOY to me!   I love that quiet place within - I am truly a contemplative in this crazy LIFE of mine here on the farm, and I carve out that place of peace daily!
http://www.communityofthelambusa.org/prayer_life.html  Here is the site, if you would like to take a look...
A picture of what dwells within my heart!!! 
Jesus, I love you, and adore you, and ask you to take all the distractions and make them silent noise in my world.  May I find time each day and whenever possible to come to YOU with the aid of Your Mother, Mary Most Holy, and her prayer - the Rosary.  Praying without ceasing is what carries me though all the noise and distractions of LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT!  Prayer fills me with a river of peace or I float on the surface of the beautiful ocean of your LOVE and Mercy!  The water that flowed from your side to quench the thirst of Your Church for the Truth!  Jesus, may we be ready to come to YOU without looking back or counting the cost as we embrace Our Most Cherished Cross and find LIFE/LOVE/LIGHT!  Jesus, we trust in YOU. Amen and Hallelujah
Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
I know that Hallel is longing to hold her new nephew, Luke!  He was born on her feast day- All Saints Day, November 1st!  I sent her a picture to "see" him with the eyes of her heart as she lifts her family up in prayer before Jesus on the altar and in His Word each day.  Now Nancy's little one growing in her womb is being surrounded by those wonderful prayers as it grows surrounded by a ocean of LOVE!
Hallel showing Bernadette her patron saint - St Agnes with her Lamb.  Bernadette has a firm grip on the Cross that Hallel wears - she will always know that Cross in her lifetime - so blessed!
"O Eternal Word, Word of my God, would that I might spend my life listening to You, would that I might be fully receptive to learn all from You; in all darkness, all loneliness, all weakness, may I ever keep my eyes fixed on You and abide under Your great light; O my Beloved Star, fascinate me so that I may never be able to leave Your radiance."  St Elizabeth of the Trinity - how I love your inner temple that you share in your prayers!
Casting Crowns - Praise you in the Storm
Peter Mayer  - Holy Now
 
The hug- push - brotherly LOVE is kind of rough at times, but very real!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment