I knew that I had this one picture of John after playing in the flour with his little cars and tractors while I was making my pies... It is hanging on the wall and I have it in a oval frame and did a terrible job cutting it to put it in there... I talked to John yesterday about how I had just made pies and had a regular photo shoot with Davey and Mary... "Why would you do that mom?" he asked. "Because I have next to none of you doing it, and every time I made pies... you would run to get your cars!" "You honestly do not have pictures of me doing that? Because I remember it to this day!" Sooooooooooooo.............
I went on a photo album search in the basement and when John was about 4... I found this one, that was a fun and special surprise to find! Today I was making pies for our Thanksgiving/Farewell party for our son in law, Joseph, who is joining the tomorrow night! How I love to make pies! I am not sure why, but it just seems to be my thing. Maybe it is the fond memories of all my nest years and the fall/winter days that I would make pie after pie. John and the girls would be involved and around!
A few weeks ago there were more pies to make and David and Mary were here to help (?). It was a delight to have Davey doing what I remember John doing 15 or more years ago. While I was up in John's room looking in his scrapbooks for pictures... the search intensified and spread... I took so many pictures of my kids growing up that they have a scrapbook for every year they have been alive, and they need a Uhaul to take them with them when they leave!
As I was looking through John's album from when he was 2-3 years old... I read an entry I had written about what John was doing at 2 1/2years old... It was so interesting to read about how Pat would come and put on his snowsuit, hat, mitten and boots and take him out on the loader or to the barn with him... just like he did with Simon, and now with 2 year old Davey. I think he has forgotten that he was as enamored with his little Johnie after having 4 girls. Today just as I was making my pies... Pat was around. How he loves to run the mixers and blenders and colanders and really just about anything in the kitchen! Mom Verly... you trained him well! I think that part of it is that he loved to come in the kitchen and visit and pick at what you were making like homemade bread or some wonderful farm meal and visit and visit and eat and help. Quite the Pat!
Davey loved to watch grandpa run the blender and fill the pie crusts after grandma had made them! Grandpa loved spending time with his little Davey and today when he wasn't here to share in the pie fun... grandpa kept saying how much he missed him, and that it has been too long since he got to see him! I think tomorrow when we are all together up at Nancy's that he will have little Davey on his lap, in his arms and just follow him whereever he goes. Next week he will have the other little 10 month old Davey here too! Along with her 2 1/2 year old sister, Therese and two new baby kitties that are going to have to live in the house, because Lilly is a cat killing dog! I think that there is going to be a lot of activity and laughter, and pictures of kids playing in the flour while grandma makes pies!
Grandpa would be disappointed if he couldn't help with the blender work in making the pumpkin pies! It is nice to have him and to remember all the years we have made pies with the kids and now with the grandkids... over 32 years now!
He had to have a piece of the apple and probably the pumpkin before we leave tomorrow... but it is an important job to make sure that it is good! And he did earn a piece too! Thanks Pat for your help and the next time there should be some grandkids here to make it more fun and special! A few more things to make for tomorrow and we will be going to early mass in the morning with Pat's wonderful mom, and then off to the Cities for our big family day! We wish all of you a wonderful Sunday and Thanksgiving Holiday ahead! I might try to get up early and write in the morning a little something... You never know.

Bless-bless, Barb
"Peace and war begin at home. If we truly want peace in the world, let us begin by loving one another in our families. If we want to spread joy, we need for every family to have joy." Blessed Teresa of Calcutta

No comments:
Post a Comment