My lilac hedge is so perfect right now... don't be surprised to see lilacs in most of my pictures until the last one can be found out there. John and I were out there picking just before we went in to paint the bathrooms at the Catholic School where Pat went to school with his siblings, our kids, and now our grandkids! Our oldest grandson, Simon, just completed second grade, and his first communion happened about a month ago now. Here is his sweet first Communion picture- so sweet!
John and I found ourselves painting a bathroom with Christian music playing - just us! All my kids are very loyal and have fond memories of their Catholic School days, so it was nice to give back today, and those are some high ceilings... and yes those are lilacs. We were painting away and realizing that we are your basic slap the paint on people and not exactly thinking that this would be a job on our favorite list. I was talking with John about the talk I will be giving at the next retreat we are working together - I have my entire family come forward which adds up to 14 - with my 7 losses I have had. With John there - I would have him be himself. He started to say that he might like to be one of his brothers that has died - "I think that I might like to be Robert" - the brother that I lost after carrying for 5 months after John. John then went on with his musings - "I don't think that Robert is having to paint bathrooms in Heaven." "I wouldn't be too sure." said I... It just struck me as funny to think that the Gospel for today was Christ telling his disciples - us - that he did not come to be served but to serve..."Whoever wishes to be first among you will be your servant; whoever wishes to be first among you will be the slave of all." Mark 10
It just made us both think that we might be painting bathrooms in purgatory on our way to Heaven. It would be very appropriate and remind us that we are at least coming to Him humbly and as servants - this is His wish for us and command to us as we follow after HIS example.
"Christ comes to look for man in the midst of sin, and slowly draws him away from it. This is the mystery of the fundamental plan of God, which is to give himself to the world by taking on a human flesh. God went to the limits of this plan. One can adhere to the Church, the mystery of faith, only by living it here on earth.
How could such a life not bring suffering? The only sign of authentic achievement is the cross. The Truth of all our responces can be summarized as follows: 'Does a person truly love someone when he cannot suffer for him?' "
Fr Bernard Bro, O.P. writing about Serving with Christ
Sweet little Bernadette brought sunshine into our world - after a week of clouds we are finally seeing the sun again this evening too!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3A3B02WSC0 The Litany of Humility by Danielle Rose
No comments:
Post a Comment