Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The oldest girl in the family...

I find myself up in St Croix Falls, WI tonight... visiting my parents along with my husband, Pat.  My parents moved here last spring, and Pat had yet to see their home.  They were surprised that we would miss Ruth's birthday today, but she had to work a 12 hour shift at the hospital, so we will probably have an excuse to celebrate over the next days...  Thinking of her tonight and how wonderful she was for our first and oldest child.  The best oldest child ever!
Ruth and I shared being the oldest and so I have had a lot of understanding of what she has faced in that role as well as the hard things about being the oldest.  I felt that she did a lot better job of being accepting and loving of the others that came after her.  I never sensed any jealousy on her part, and maybe that was in part because I had a mischarriage between her and Nancy and she shared in my pain and loss.  I have a bit of a memory of being the apple of my parent's eye and being a less than welcoming older sister towards my sister, Marty, just 14 months behind me...
I, like Ruth, was a very shy person in school and yet being the oldest we both had to blaze the trails as we entered each step of school ahead of the others... Ruth in her wisdom realized that if she went to college too close that she would be running to the safety of her home instead of making an attempt to make friends and have new experiences.. she fell in love wiht a college in Bismarck, ND - University of Mary.. it was 6 hours away and she blossomed and accomplished becoming a wonderful nurse in just 4 years!  The first semester - she emailed every day, then she found friends and had those experiences that she had hoped for... She found the beauty of Ruth that dwelt deep inside of her... a beautiful bud that opened up into an amazing flower!  Happy Birthday Ruth!  We love you and are amazed at the gorgeous Rose you are to all those that come in contact with you!  Bless-bless, mom and dad... along with grandma and grandpa Cross and your Godparents Marty and Steve

Jesus, we trust in you!  Thank you for all the ways that we are used in our lives and the ways that we find our path... sometimes it is scarey but we put our trust in you... you are in control!  Amen and Halleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment