On January 31st, Maria shared on her blog how her daughter wanting to give to the poor got them doing some active coporal works of mercy -
"Therese ( who just turned 4) has had an itch for quite some time to help the "poor people". It was kind of hard for her to understand that it isn't as easy as wrapping up a baby doll and knocking on a door, so after some creative thought, the kids and I spent a morning drawing pictures with which to wrap a few dollars for people who beg at the street corners. I had explained to her that often you need to wait for a "poor person" to ask for something so that you know what they need, and this seemed to be a hands-on way to apply the principle. So, since creating these picture packages, Therese has had the opportunity to personally hand two of them out from her car seat when I roll down her window. It was very touching yesterday morning when she did this. She, in her little three-year-old voice said "God bless you" as she handed it to the middle-aged gentleman. And he could only respond with grunts and a smile... he was mute! What a gift to just be able to realize his misery and so be able to personalize our prayers for him. We would have never been able to do this if we would not have rolled down our window and given him this tiniest of gifts!"
Yesterday I was talking to Maria and then she said that they were going to Wallmart. About 15 minutes later the phone rang... it was Maria and she said; "Mom, this is funny. I am not sure if you will think it is or not, but the mute man we have given money to a few times. Well, we see him around on the streets and we wave at him... he recognizes us and waves. We just saw him, and I am starting to wonder if he is mute and deaf, because he has a sign that says - I will take verbal abuse for $1.00 - we all laughed and waved at him and he smiled and waved back. We didn't have money to give him today." It is really pretty sad, but it does say that he has a sense of humor to use his handicap in this way. I wonder if anyone would take him up on it... Kind of crazy. Jesus, hold these humble and poor people in the palm of your hand. May they find comfort and the food and love that they need to know and follow you. Jesus, we trust in you. Bless-bless
Our family in El Paso,TX - examples of a domestic Church - raising lights for the world!

No comments:
Post a Comment