Monday, October 12, 2015

"hygge" - Ruth's porch and "when we replace 'I' with 'we', even illness becomes wellness." Jessica Alexander

 I admire this lone cottonwood tree at Ruth' wonderful home!  It is turning golden and with the high winds today - up to 40mph- it could be quickly stripped of its leaves!  I grabbed many pictures in the glorious summery Sunday including this one on the special setting on my camera which seemed to turn it into a stain glass window from nature!
There are no shortage of Ruth's wonderful porch eating, I know!  Last night is no exception as we gathered at sunset to eat homemade pizza, which was a combined effort of Ruth, Nancy and I!  Just as we finished the wind blew us inside, but we had the joy of sharing a wonderful meal together.  The kids then move over to the trampoline close by to get out some pent up energy. 

Lately I have been struck by how wonderful it is to have my girls around me with their growing families!  Having learned at my feet - we do things similarly.. quick and with little fuss.  We all pitch in and the result is accomplishing much - feeding 8 kids, a farmer grandpa, and the 3 of us with good wholesome food.  One of my favorite things of all?  The pepper and tomatoes were growing just minutes before they were cut up and on the pizza!  That is the best!
 Mary and her bunny, Dusty, in the last rays of sun by their wonderful tree!

I came across an article this morning that really expresses this feeling of working together and the resulting happiness and joy that comes from these meals!  http://thedanishway.com/togetherness/danish-parenting-secrets-happy-families-know-how-to-hygge  It is called "hygge" and is a practice that is followed by the Danes.  When I asked Ruth if she wanted to just make our own meals separate for supper last night after two days of her and I being in charge of the 8 kids and our men... She responded with an immediate "no."  Jessica Alexander, who wrote this article did state that we "increase oxytocin levels and feel happier" by practicing "hygge."  The way I see it - this is thinking about others ahead of yourself and sharing love and interest in them while sharing a wonderful meal in a homey and special setting.  Ruth's porch on a gorgeous evening with wonderful family is all that!
 Two girls a kitty and a beautiful tree in the late day sun!

"Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ."  Romans 1:7 I am so excited to see that our first reading will be from St Paul to the Romans!  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!  Feeling the grace and the peace flowing all around me this day! 
 It was wonderful to carve out some time in the dark to do morning prayer with Pat!  I made him a lunch bucket and set it by the door in the dark and my heart sang with JOY as I had to step over our few toys and many little shoes representing the house filled with Nancy and her kids here!  I cherish this sight as well as the finger prints on the patio door as the kids and animals outside interacted by the early morning light!
 A bank of clouds gave us a brief sunrise with rays of the new dawn!
All the ends of the earth have seen
the salvation of our God.
Sing joyfully to the Lord all you lands;
break into song; sing praise.
Psalm 98 from mass today expresses my joy this day!
 Fixing a little girl's hair - granddaughter Bernadette - is another of my happy moments today!  It followed a wonderful sweet discussion at breakfast when Gus asked me where all my kids lived... we went down the list - Aunt Ruthie "lives with Big Dave,"  Aunt Maria lives "far away with little Dave,"  Aunt Hallel "lives really far away,"  and Uncle John "let's find out where he lives."  As a result Ruth and Nancy are on an adventure to visit John and see where he lives and works about 20 minutes away at the Catholic Church in Tracy!

We also talked about brothers and sisters in heaven.  "My baby brother, Peter, I pray for all the time." reported Gus!  He listened as grandma named my 7 in heaven... Christopher, Thomas, Joseph, Paul, William, Robert and Mary.  Heaven is close and on our minds.  Bernadette with her Indian braids brought a sharing by mom of St Kateri and how much she loved Jesus!  So special to share our Faith!
So very sweet!  It is such a gift to share our faith in our homes and it is the most important place to share our love for Jesus and His Bride, The Church!

One topic that came up this morning at our family breakfast was how it would be Hallel's every 3 year home visit this next spring, but Hallel told me not to expect it rather to "be surprised."  "I guess, for people that depend on 'Divine Providence' for their food... would also look to his guidance in other matters as well and nothing is set."  We learn at their feet!
The girls switched spots for this one...
 The girls and kitten supreme!  Dressing alike takes me back to my good days with my 4 girls!
 A climbing tree in the pasture with some water in the creek to get muddy feet/black boots!
In the shade of the willow and the kids in the creek!
 90 degree heat =water time!

 Leaf pile is probably all blown away now!  So many pictures capturing our wonderful family time!
Light at sunset is a beautiful paint brush.
 
Jesus, may we recall all the signs of your unconditional love and forgiveness in our lives and never cease to die to self so that you may live in us!  Come Holy Spirit!  May we not be concerned with the "I" rather the "we."  Sharing always our love in our homes for You, Lord Jesus, and your Bride, The Church.  Jesus, we trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
Ruth is keeping the two female kitten - I foresee years and years of kitten love ahead!  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
Patrick with a police car from his car birthday!  We love you, Patrick Joseph!
A little mixed up, if you know what I mean, but still wonderful!

I am high on St Patrick - I wonder why?  All the Patricks in my life are great!!!!
Danielle Rose - The Saint that is just me
Brandon Heath - Give me your eyes
Natalie Grant - Burn Bright
http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com/2015/10/40-catholic-saints-in-cross-stitch.html... Nancy's wonderful cross-stitch Saints!  So important to share in our homes!  We had a wonderful children's saint book which we read to the kids at night.  Such powerful lessons to them of hope and truth and we can persevere no matter what we face in our lives!  All we need is Jesus and His Bride, The Church!

No comments:

Post a Comment