Wednesday, October 21, 2015

"Jesus did nothing else but serve us all the time he lived in this world." St Teresa of Avila

 Feeling nostalgic today, so beware of the visit into the past through pictures... Here is our son, John, just days old and barely large enough to fill his father's huge hands.  Hands that are holding and cherishing his first son after 4 daughters.  Youngest daughter, Susan, is looking on with love and great  caring/concern... much of that protective love she has shown towards John comes from the two losses our family went through between them.  Sharing that pain of loss has made us all so close and appreciative of ALL LIFE and one another!

John called last evening to report that he was having a "smart syndrome."  Stroke like symptoms related to whole brain radiation.  It involves numbness of one side of his body and a headache, and brings his battle against brain cancer rushing back.  There is a helpless and concerned feeling that comes over me.  We are told to not worry - it will pass, and it did.  This morning he is fine other than a slight headache.
 Christmas card 1982 with our two oldest girls.  They now both have little ones like this!  Nancy is expecting her 4th child next spring and Ruth has 5 - her youngest will be 2 in a few weeks!

Father Paul anointed the sick in the aisle of church during mass last Sunday and that so powerfully brought me back to mid November 15th, 2009 when we all gathered around a very sick John in the aisle of church as Father anointed him and blessed him with the relic of Venerable Solanus Casey.  John surprised me by going forward last Sunday, too, although he is now cancer free.  "I need it for my heart." he explained as he sat down next to me.  Don't we all?
 In love with dressing my 4 girls alike!  This was in 1986...  Susan/Hallel turned 30 a few weeks ago!  My nest years were so wonderful, and now to witness my girls in the midst of their nest years... it is regifting to me!  Being open to LIFE calls us as mothers to give of ourselves constantly and to serve!  A new life is something that keeps on giving and we are called to raise them as LIGHTS!
http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/my-most-cherished-cross-patrick-gerard.html

 I just read the blog post of a homeschooling mother of 5, who with her husband, took them on a pilgrimage to see the relics of St Maria Goretti - a 5 hour trip!  When they arrived there was a huge line they had to stand in and the mother sighed at the sight. He oldest leaned over and said excitedly; "I am so glad that there are long lines to see her!  Can you imagine her coming all the way from Italy and not having lots of people to pray with you?  I prayed for long lines!"  Amazing!
 Halloween is around the corner, so this seemed appropriate to add today... Yes, the dress alike carried over into Halloween too!
 That 4th daughter pushed me over the edge!

Jesus tells us in his Gospel today that much will be required of us!  We see the Truth and are called to serve those in our lives - those that are the hardest to serve are those closest to us!  Often times I wonder why the ones we love the most we treat the worst! 
 Corn stalk bale pictures jumped out at me today - I wonder why?  This is Simon - #1 grandson in 2005.  They had moved back to Marshall and I watched Simon while Ruth worked half time at the hospital. 
 John's radiation mask on the day he completed radiation!  Those days continue to come washing over us with the residual effects of SMART syndrome.  Called to recall how we were surrounded by prayer and now the new John is being called to serve in The Church - working with youth and share his LIGHT!
 Johnny and mom years back - still very close through our sharing the battle and now through prayer!
 Maria just back from a year in Rome - the 5 close and silly!
 Walking into the sunset in Michigan - Ruth and John.  I won first place in a hospice photo contest with this one - speaking about how we are all called to walk into the sunset of our days and that with the help of hospice there can be comfort and peace.
 A photo taken by Little Sister Marianna... I love the lighting into this and the little Sister and friend walking into the LIGHT.  May this day bring us more and more into the light!
 Another picture by ls Marianna where the Gospel comes to life.  The virgins holding their lamps awaiting the arrival of the Bridegroom.  Our Hallel is this in our lives and we too are called..."you must be prepared, for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come."  Luke 12:40
 3 generations in purple - Awaiting the arrival of Patrick 3 years ago... another call to prayer with great HOPE and Faith! http://familysoulstory.blogspot.com/p/the-story-of-little-lamb-grandson.html
 A fun painting I was able to do for Therese on her feastday - St Therese in 2012 awaiting the arrival of her baby brother, Patrick!
 I am thinking about Hallel today, so I love to share this one of baby Therese with her Godmother about 5 years ago in Kansas City!  It warms my heart!

Jesus, we are definitely called to serve without counting the cost.  Why is it so hard to remember from one minute to the next?  My heart is in the right place when my mind reminds it of what is the Truth to model our lives after, yet our body is selfish and lazy and dumb and goes in the exact opposite direction!  Turn around and die to self and find true happiness in doing nothing else but serve all the time we live in this world!  What can we do for a God so generous that he died for us, created us, and gives us being?  Shouldn't we consider ourselves lucky to be able to repay something of what we owe him for his service toward us?  I say these words "his service towards us" unwillingly; but the fact is that he did nothing else but serve us all the time he lived in this world...as one who receives more, you are more indebted.  St Teresa of Avila  May we make baby steps this day in doing things for those closest to us that we selfishly don't want to do... say "yes" with a smile and with willing hands serve!  I long to come closer to you this day,  O Lord!  I know more is asked of me, who know you and believe in you... give me the strength!  Jesus, I trust in you.  Amen and Hallelujah
Missing my family today... they truly are on the path of humble service.  My sweet little Therese has a heart for the poor!  Bless-bless, Barbara Luke
A picture taken on their first ever camping trip... a little too close but still to be cherished by grandma!
 Harvest is winding down - one last big day!  This sight is going to be just a memory soon.   Thank you, Lord, for the great harvest and the safety of all! 
I love this tree at Ruth and Paul's - so glorious these days with its golden leaves - a picture of peace and beauty!

OK, so maybe I will fail over and over, but I will never stop trying!

Another good reminder from the Saint that led us down the narrow path carrying/dragging our Most Cherished Cross for the first 27 years of our marriage!  He is now a Saint!
Casting Crowns- Glorious Day
Danielle Rose - Small thing with great love - She is coming to Ghent on Dec 5th!! I am so excited!
I just have to share this post by Nancy announcing pregnancy #5!  The tears are rolling!
http://www.dosmallthingswithlove.com/2015/10/because-miscarraige-change-everything.html
In honor of harvest... Halloween 1986!  Boy did we trash every home we went into, but they were cute before we left the house!  Bless-bless

No comments:

Post a Comment