This amazing line was from Isaiah this morning, as Pat, John and I gathered around the breakfast table to pray - "While from behind, a voice shall sound in your ears: 'This is the way; walk in it,' when you would turn to the right or to the left." Isaiah 30: 20-21 There is not much doubt here that Our Lord is there to show us the way, if we trust in HIM! How we witnessed that as we traversed the path called cancer/healing with our son, John. It all began at this time 3 years ago, and there were times when we would make an abrupt turn from the path that was presented to us! There are often times that I think about how it would have turned out if we had not veered off the path presented to us in Sioux Falls a few days into all this! So often when a doctor presents something to us - we think that what he says goes, but this was just too shocking to us, and we just knew that we had to hear from the best surgeon in the world that it should be done, and then we still questioned whether we would allow it or not! We could have lost our son in the operating room or had him come out a vegetable at that early place in our battle. Now when people call out for direction or are confused about what to do - especially when it comes to cancer or other issues in the brain - I tell them without hesitation to get a second opinion at Mayo...."They see it all there, and for us with John being so rare, that meant and means so much! For us to have 2 people, that we know of, ahead of him and cured - we need to see that!
We resisted Mayo until we were on the brink of doing some scary chemo at the U of M in the Cities... then an email sent to us the night before diverted our path to Mayo! Pat went there saying that he just needed to know of a person or two, who were like John - rare, and had beat it! His wish was granted, and we did not look back once we got there! We were in touch with a woman just a year ahead of John - she called us! And she continues to be ahead of us in healing too! The thing about her journey - she was 30 years old and pregnant, when she discovered her PCNSL! Here is her site - her story is even more amazing than John's! Her daughter, Ruth, is such a sign of her healing and respect for LIFE! http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/lorakesselhon... Her picture there in front of the little red barn is so great! She shared that they saw it and stopped to get a picture, and I shared that our daughter, Ruth, has a barn a lot like that too! Two Ruths...Too fun!
There is much excitement going on in our family now... it is looking like we can possibly ALL, except Hallel, be together for close to a week in Michigan! Our son-in-law told Pat last night how much our family is showing him about FAMILY! How we "never give up" when it comes to figuring out ways for us to get together. "It just means so much to you all to find a way to be together, and you don't give up or say that it is not going to work!" I do see this so powerfully in my husband - yes, he drives me crazy in how he has to look at everything from every possible angel, but there is never a "no" in his life! I just read this on fb
"I have a choice each and every single day
I choose to feel blessed
I choose to feel grateful
I choose to be excited
I choose to be thankful
I choose to be happy"
Amber Housely
This is a person, whose cup is always half full and that would be my tenacious husband, Patrick Verly! Thank you, Lord! Yes, he drives me nuts, but he does make things happen!
Bless-bless, Barb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttdqieQx3Rc The litany of humility by Danielle Rose - the Missionaries of Charity pray this weekly! Wow!
One more for the road - Pursue Me by Danielle!
My sister and my son!

I felt like I just had a spiritual awakening after reading this article. It totally inspired me. Faith can really do so much to a person.
ReplyDelete