Saturday, June 5, 2010

Ruth and her daughter, Mary, on the 4 year anniversary of Mary's birth and Ruth's life change - April 19th


This was taken yesterday up in St Paul at Mary's birthday celebration at her Godmother's house. We all gathered on a beautiful spring day in their backyard to visit and laugh and eat.... Yes, we were in truth celebrating Mary turning 4 but also on this day 4 years ago - April 19, 2006... Ruth's future was forever altered! In trying to have Mary vaginally after a C section for Simon... Mary barely got out in time as the doctor did not even tell Ruth and Paul what she was but just said with some worry in his voice... "She's floppy!" Shortly she was fine with some oxygen, but Ruth had felt an excruciating pain in the end of the delivery and this only worsened with the day as they would massage her uterus... it was finally discovered that she had ruptured her uterus and she was then flown to Sioux Falls... Her husband has never quite recovered from this fear that he could not only lose the chance of more family but most importantly lose his wife! Ruth's uterus was saved and we were all grateful for that but mostly for the fact that Ruth would be OK. I stayed at the hospital in Marshall with newborn Mary that night and the next day, and fed her bottles... Ruth was in SF and we left to reunite her with her 1 1/2 year old Simon and newborn Mary... whom she had hardly even held yet! The tearful reunion is heartwrenching to behold! I wept as the little family sat and held each other and they wept... little Mary loved her mommy and her mommy's milk immediately! How wonderful to have that breastfeeding closeness like they had never missed a beat! Thank you Lord... We brought Ruth home and the healing started to take place on all levels! When Ruth went in a few monthes later for her checkup here in town... her doctor told her no more children! She came and we cried together in deep sadness. "Why", I ask the Lord," when my daughters are open to life... do they have to struggle and run into road blocks?" Ruth was asking me what she should do as she was only 26 years old with possibly 20 years ahead of her to prevent children. "Should I get my tubes tied or use artficial birth control." All I said to her is that she should look into natural and that she would not be happy if she did any of those ways... also that she should get a second opinion and go to the surgeon that saved her uterus, who we knew to be a strong Catholic and ask her about the future of family. As I shared yesterday... the answer was to wait one year before she got pregnant and let her uterus heal and that she should have a 90% chance of everything going fine as they would watch her closely and do a Csection when the baby was ready... Paul, her husband left there saying; "To me 90% is an A." He is a teacher and this meant that he felt much relieved and trusted that they could still be open to family with some limitations. How did they deal with the waiting between? They took classes in Creighton Model Natural Method. Not only that but Ruth is now a trained instructor and works with other couples helping them use natural means to have children when they hope to and prevent when they need to. What I love about the natural method is that the Lord is still in the picture and when the pregnancy occurs... it is with the Lord's involvement and blessing. She also works with those that are experiencing difficulties in getting pregnant or staying pregnant. My daughter Maria found out that she had a condition that could cause her to miscarry when she learned the method before they got married and Nancy too has worked with Ruth already in preparation for her marriage in the next 6 months... Maria got a shot on her wedding day of the hormone she needs to help her carry her pregnancy and it was good as they got pregnant on her first cycle! She has these injections throughout her first 3 months and has had two healthy and good pregnancies so far! I often wonder as I watch my girls going through these experiences... if I had known what they do and probably gotten those injections... would I have lost all the 6 that I lost along the way? It was what it was and it is now a genenation ahead of mine... I have to put it all in the Lord's hands, but it is sometimes a bit hard to take it all in and say; "Jesus I trust in you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment